TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leg "rash"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle Poole
100+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:05 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Leg "rash" Reply with quote

When the weather turns hot, I develop a rash/abrasion/chaffing on the top of my quad above the knee, right where the 'leg gripper' things from my shorts sit. This only tends to occur on longer rides (2+ hours). The area will be red and a bit swollen - kinda like a sunburn.It'll fade away after a day or two, but will pop back up on the next long ride. The longer the ride, the worse the rash. I don't have this issue at all in cooler weather.

I've tried several different kinds of properly fitting shorts - even some of the stupid expensive ones - and all still give the same results to varying degrees. I've tried flipping the leg gripper thing up - but all that does is move the chaffing further up my leg. I've tried using lotion on the area before the ride, and that helps some - but it just doesn't last through the longer rides.

I was thinking for a while I may be allergic to the latex used in the grippers, but that doesn't seem to be the case as the rash is only on the top of my leg - not all the way around.

Any ideas? It's not stopping me from riding, but it would be nice to find a solution.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:14 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle:

If you had a sensitivity to latex, the rash should go all the way around your thigh where the elastic touches. Plus anything else with latex in it, such as elastic waist bands and the elastic in briefs, would trigger a rash. So, you are correct in discounting this as the source of your rash. It is unlikely you have an allergy to other components in your lycra shorts as the rash would be where ever the shorts contact you skin.

It sound more like a friction rub rash possible due to more movement of the bike shorts on the front of your thigh then the back. You have already tried some appropriate measures to try to alleviate the friction with heavy salves. There are some that are heavier than others, such as zinc oxide ointment, plain Vaseline, or Corona ointment (available at farm and ranch supply stores). Other things you might consider help prevent this:

1. If you shave your legs, stop. Allow those hairs to grow out and provide an extra area of sheer surface to decrease the fricition from the shorts on the front of your thighs. Additionally, shaving can lead to chronic irritation and overgrowth of bacteria on the shaved skin which can make you more prone to rashes where the shorts rub.

2. Try some baggy shorts. Totally uncool for road riding, but if it cures the problem, it is worth the ribbing you might take from your road riding buddies.

3. Slide a piece of soft cloth like a silk hankerchief or Coolmax cloth under the front portion of your bike shorts over the thigh gripper area to provide an sheer protection. I use a varriation of this to prevent saddle sores on the back door, a malady I had been afflicted with. I use a pair of unpadded, form fitting liner shorts between my bike shorts and my birthday suit. This has done wonders in stopping saddle sores for me.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:10 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe I remember when he was a purest mtb guy swearing he would NEVER shave his legs or give up his baggies. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pass the A & D ointment
Kyle Poole
100+

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:55 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbie wrote:
hehehe I remember when he was a purest mtb guy swearing he would NEVER shave his legs or give up his baggies. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pass the A & D ointment

Hey now - we all go through those awkward stages of our cycling adolescence...

Thanks for the advice, Doc. I don't know if I can deal with baggy shorts, but I'll try the heavier lotions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:33 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbie wrote:

Pass the A & D ointment

Heh, we should link this from Mojo.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
debbie wrote:

Pass the A & D ointment

Heh, we should link this from Mojo.

What the? That above post is from me. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: