TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stitch at intervals at 85% + max HR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Torque

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:56 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Stitch at intervals at 85% + max HR Reply with quote

Hello Paul K. Nolan, MD :
I know that it 's been disscused earlier but my stich got my a bit cinfused.

I'm training for MTB racing with intervals twice a week one day I do short intervals at 85% to 90% as a maximun target about one minute then two minutes long. the other day about three days later I do longer intervals with a bit lower target right at lactate or -5 bpm from lactate. Here is the problem:
In the last three months whenever I get close to 90% the sticth starts to get me if I lower the effort and I breathe deep it gets mild or goes away but I really have to slow down the pace. sometimes if I have to stop in a intersection the pain goes away then comes back when I put the hammer down...
I used to do these type of intervals and hold it without any problem before
now I just can't hold it.
Anything that I can do to avoid it ,more fluids more potassium...
Your advise wil be appreciated...
Johnny.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:12 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torque:

You could be having an intercostal muscle spasms or cramps triggered by the deep breathing with the strenuous output. When you are around lactate threshold, you will be breathing quite deeply and fast. Two options, back down below the threshold, which sounds like what you are doing, or work on taking progressively deeper breaths and holding the breath in breifly before exhaling. This works to stretch the muscle much like stretching a calf musle to break up a "Charley Horse" muscle spasm.

Check out the book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. This is a valuable resource in learning different stretches for various parts of your body including your chest and abdominal muscles.

If at any time you symptoms worsen or do not improve, do not hesitate to seek a medical evaluation to make sure nothing more serious is going on.

Thanks,
Torque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:37 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Re- Stitch at intervals at 85% + max HR Reply with quote

Hello Dr. Nolan:
That kind of breathing is what seems to help a lot.
I concentrated more on it today and it started a bit later at my tird long interval of 15 min at LT , the closer to 90% Max HR the sooner it start. I had a buisy day today and I didn't eat well and didn't take enough fluids though, Would that could have something related?

Thanks a lot for your response,
Johnny.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:06 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny:

Yes, poor eating and inadequate rest can make you more susceptible to cramps.

I am glad to hear the breathing tricks have helped.

Thanks,
Torque

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:21 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Re-Stitch at intervals at 85% + max HR Reply with quote

Hi Dr. Nolan:
I'll will watch on my nutrition and hydratation this week, I think it's been happening since I'm not eating like I used to.
Thanks a lot for your advise.
Johnny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: