TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backside itch/stinging.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Backside itch/stinging. Reply with quote

Hello Doc,
I have been having trouble w/my perineal area ever since getting back into biking about 8 months ago. I ride both mountain and road and find that it is always irritated. almost all of the irritation occurs around the sphincter(sp) area. I originally thought it might be hemorrhoids(internal) however after a visit to the family doc, he said it wasn't. Is this common for most riders to have this trouble right in this local? The irritation is some what like an itch/stinging sensation and feels like it is sub-dermal more than anything.(not topical skin irritation)

My doc gave me some sterroidal cream which hasn't done jack! I've tried the sitz bath's and just about every over the counter cream possible, gold balm seemed to work well but it began to irritate my skin.
Could this be a miss diagnosis? Also once you get hemorrhoids are you always going to be prone to having them.

Any hints, helpful tips would be appreciated?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:13 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:

You may be experiencing a simple saddle sores from repetitive sheer friction to your back side. It is good news that there are no hemorrhoids and it is unlikely you have an abscess or fissure in the area as these kinds of problems are easily detected on physical exam and often have associated local heat, redness, swelling and drainage.

A simple solution that can be quite effective involves using a heavy salve to protect the area from friction. I recommend either plain Vaseline or Corona Ointment (available from feed stores and Tractor Supply Company [TSC]) applied to the tender area daily and just before your ride. Corona ointment is a much heavier salve that lasts several hours and it is my prefered treatment. Just put the ointment on some toilet tissue and apply it liberally to the anal area. Additionally, get a pair of form fitting unpadded, bike undershorts and put these on before your regular padded bike shorts. This works much like a pair of liner socks worn under heavy socks in hiking boots to prevent blisters on the feet. It provides a sheer zone separate from the skin and the friction from the bike shorts and bike seat. I can tell you, I have had first rump experience with this trick. When I was racing regularly I suffered from your malady until I tried these tricks and it work great.

Do spring for a couple to 3 pairs of quality, well fitted padded bike shorts. Poorly made shorts with poor seam construction and pad the bunches up can wreck havoc to your tender parts. Wash your bike shorts immediately after each ride and let them dry throroughly before their next use.

If at any time your symptoms worsen, or there is no improvement get a repeat evaluation by your doctor. Some disorders that may not be apparent on the innitial exam will become apparent on follow up exam.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: