TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hemotobin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:59 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Hemotobin Reply with quote

I have what appears to be a hemotobin on my left upper thigh just above a bruise i got from a bike wreck. it's probably 2 inches in diameter. It's flesh colored so i am assuming it's pretty deep as i would think i should be able to see the color of bloos. Is it common for these to go away on their own? I don't have insurance so i can't really afford to go to a doc on this.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:

Hemetobin occurs when you get our fearless leader, Tobin J. Behling bloody mad at you. Unless you got your leg injury by crashing into Tobin on his bike, then I suspect you have a hematoma, which is a collection of blood in an area that was injured. Most of the time hematomas resolve without complications. They take abouts two weeks before the clotted blood in the swelling starts to deminish and it can take a month or two for all the swelling to completely resolve. Rarely, they can develope calcium deposits and a hard nodule forms where the hematoma was. This calcified deposit can last months or even years.

If there is increased swelling, fever or increasing pain do seek medical attention as there is something more serious going on.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA No wonder i couldn't find that word on dictionary.com!!

Right now the thing is just soft and squishy. It just recently seems like it got this way. The wreck was the sunday before last and yesterday i raced 20 miles and i wonder if i didn't make it worse by doing so.

So are there any other signs i should look for?
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
Guest:

Hemetobin occurs when you get our fearless leader, Tobin J. Behling bloody mad at you. Unless you got your leg injury by crashing into Tobin on his bike, then I suspect you have a hematoma, which is a collection of blood in an area that was injured. Most of the time hematomas resolve without complications. They take abouts two weeks before the clotted blood in the swelling starts to deminish and it can take a month or two for all the swelling to completely resolve. Rarely, they can develope calcium deposits and a hard nodule forms where the hematoma was. This calcified deposit can last months or even years.

If there is increased swelling, fever or increasing pain do seek medical attention as there is something more serious going on.

Thanks,
Doc, I thought he might have been mad at Tobin and meant to say Homo Tobin. Laughing
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:54 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockethound:

With it being 8 days from the original injury and the swelling feeling mushy, that indicates the clot is starting to liquify, and hopefully should begin to be resorbed. If there is local redness, increasing swelling, fever and/or increasing pain, these would be signs of a secondary infection setting in. These kinds of signs and symptoms would warrent a medical evaluation.

With none of these signs and symptoms, gentle exercise can help speed the absorbtion of the blood. Go ahead and ride your bike but keep the intensity down, low gears easy spinning. Leave the hard climbs and sprints alone for the next couple of weeks.

If at any time you have any concerns do seek a medical evaluation.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:22 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
Rockethound:
Go ahead and ride your bike but keep the intensity down, low gears easy spinning. Leave the hard climbs and sprints alone for the next couple of weeks.

If at any time you have any concerns do seek a medical evaluation.

Thanks,

Thanks Doc. that was my next question.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:10 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doc!

How long before the swelling should go down? And is there anything i can do to speed this up?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:45 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockethound:

The swelling should start to subside about two weeks after the original injury, unless the hematoma has started to calcify then the knot will persist indefinately. You previously described that the hematoma was feeling squishy which would indicate the clotted blood is starting to liquify at which point the process of absorbing the blood will progress. The easy bicycle riding can speed the process by increasing the circulation in the working muscles. You can also apply an elastic wrap (ACE wrap) to the affected area to help speed the reabsorbtion of the hematoma. Be carefull not to wrap too tight which would impede circulation.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:53 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
rockethound:

The swelling should start to subside about two weeks after the original injury, unless the hematoma has started to calcify then the knot will persist indefinately. You previously described that the hematoma was feeling squishy which would indicate the clotted blood is starting to liquify at which point the process of absorbing the blood will progress. The easy bicycle riding can speed the process by increasing the circulation in the working muscles. You can also apply an elastic wrap (ACE wrap) to the affected area to help speed the reabsorbtion of the hematoma. Be carefull not to wrap too tight which would impede circulation.

Thanks,

OK, thanks
A few people i've told about this have expressed concern about strokes. What are the stats on that? i'm 35
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:06 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockethound:

Strokes from blood clots can occur when the clot is in an artery above the aorta. This is not likely from a blot clot that is the muscle of your thigh.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:08 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHEW!!!!!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you do think it would be a good idea if I did Judgement Day this weekend in Dallas? It's easy going for around 80 miles over a 17 hour period.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:17 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockethound:

No commitment on that one. You will have to decide for yourself.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:39 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 injuries that have been called "prepateller bursitis" Or, a sac filled with fluid in front of my kneecap.

The most recent one was from the Kerrville race. Some of you may have seen me sitting in the medic tent with ice on my knee. Last night I noticed that there was a mass of fluid in front of my kneecap that I could squish around like a condimint package. I called my doctor this morning, and she had appointments available, so I went in and she pulled 3cc's of very liquid blood out of it along with some yellowish stuff fluid. Within minutes after she did it, all the tenderness on my kneecap was gone. The body is an amazing thing. Smile

The reason I mention this is because having the doctor remove the fluid may make it feel better if it's tender.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:42 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

bak2biking wrote:
I've had 2 injuries that have been called "prepateller bursitis" Or, a sac filled with fluid in front of my kneecap.

The most recent one was from the Kerrville race. Some of you may have seen me sitting in the medic tent with ice on my knee. Last night I noticed that there was a mass of fluid in front of my kneecap that I could squish around like a condimint package. I called my doctor this morning, and she had appointments available, so I went in and she pulled 3cc's of very liquid blood out of it along with some yellowish stuff fluid. Within minutes after she did it, all the tenderness on my kneecap was gone. The body is an amazing thing. Smile

The reason I mention this is because having the doctor remove the fluid may make it feel better if it's tender.

OK, cool! then did she say you could race after that? I still wanna do judgement day saturday

as a matter of fact email me would ya?
wparham at rockethound dot com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: