TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

24 hour side effects

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xl_cheese
100+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:40 am GMT +0000    Post subject: 24 hour side effects Reply with quote

I did the solo 24 last weekend. Should I be concerned that my left big toe is still numb. It's not too bad. Kind of like it has fallen asleep.

My hands are still weak, but they are slowly returning to normal. It's the weirdest feeling. My hands have felt like rubber since monday morning.

Thanks.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:57 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

xl_cheese:

Your toe numbness is likely due to prolonged nerve compression from being on the bike for as long as you were. Clipless pedal can concentrate pressure to the nerves between the toes and prolonged compression can lead to numbness. Additionally, shoes that are too tight can squeeze the foot bones together and compress the nerves. Shoes that fit fine at the start of the race may be too tight several hours into the race due to swelling that occurs normally in the feet and legs with being up for prolonged peroids of time. How long will it last is uncertain. It may take days, weeks or even months before sensation can return depending on the degree of compression nerve injury that you incurred.

While you are waiting for the numbness to resolve, look seriously at going either with platform pedals or switching to a broader based clipless pedal system such as Speed Play Frogs, Time Attacks or some of the SPD style down hill pedals with built in platforms and get a set of shoes with a rigid carbon fiber sole to help discipate the pressure from the pedal. Make sure your shoes fit comfortably. The best time to try shoes on is late in the day when your feet will have some normal increase in their diameter from the swelling that occurs.

If your symptoms persist or worsen, see a Podiatrist, a foot doctor, as you may have a neuroma which is a swelling along the shaft of a nerve in the foot that can lead to numbness when it is compressed.

Your hands sound like they are on the recovery mode. It is a good idea to stay off the bike for a week or two to allow time for things to heal. Do some swimming as cross training to take the load off your hands and feet while you are recovering from your solo effort.

Thanks,
xl_cheese
100+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:48 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise doc! I actually did some recovery rides on wed-sat following the 24 hr which I feel helped a lot. After the first easy ride I felt much better. When I say easy I mean EASY.

The toe is about 95% better and the hands are still a bit weak. About 75% strenght so far (1.5 weeks). Racing x-bar on sunday sure didn't help. Very Happy My hands took a pounding on that course.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

xl_cheese:

Next year, plan on a 24 hour 5 person team, have fun but keep the body abuse down. I am glad to hear you are doing better.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: