TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTB Injuries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:15 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: MTB Injuries Reply with quote

Hey Doc,
I had a little tumble last week and have some pretty good injuries. I would like to know the anticipated recovery time. I sustained a collapsed lung, two broken ribs and major bruising of my right hip/leg/side/back/rear. The bruising is severe and swollen a week after the accident. I know in time this will heal and the bruising/swelling will go away. My concern is the broken ribs and the fact I had a collapsed lung which I had a chest tube inserted while in the hospital. How long will it take before the ribs will be well enough to get back on the bike? What concerns should I have when I do get back on the bike after having a collapsed lung?

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:47 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rider:

With the fractured ribs and collapsed you should plan a minimum of eight weeks out of commission. Now that bruised derriere, that may haunt you the rest of your life.... or at least the stories that your friends will tell of your "little tumble".

Do give yourself plenty of time to heal. You will find your ribs tender for 6 or more weeks and you will have to be careful with any rigorous activities until you are cleared by your doctor. Ask your doctor when you can get back on a statioinary trainer. (I would not expect anything sooner than 4 weeks for the stationary trainer and 8 weeks before you can get out on the road or trail.) The range of motion will help the bruising to your lower extemities resolve more quickly. I hope for your recovery.

Thanks,
racer99
100+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:50 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rider: you forgot to ask the Doc about the effects of drinking bayou water.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:52 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch...

How long was the Chest Tube in for???
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:03 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish you the best but there is one thing to say - When you crash you know how to do it right!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:25 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:
Rider:

Now that bruised derriere, that may haunt you the rest of your life.... or at least the stories that your friends will tell of your "little tumble".

I rest my case. Laughing
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:57 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chest tube was in for about 72 hours. The fun part was having the Dr. pull it out. Talk about Ouch!!!

Racer99: Maybe if you were a little closer to my wheel, I wouldn't have had to stay in the water that long. Thanks for getting me out though.
racer99
100+

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:20 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

R: Actually, I think it may be best that I didn't see it happen. I might be really slow then.

No problem on getting you out, just do same for me if the time comes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: