TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sore deltoids when I ride

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Sore deltoids when I ride Reply with quote

I've been having a problem for the last year or so when I ride and that's soreness in my deltoid area. I can't recall if I changed anything prior, accept that perhaps that's the tiimeframe where I started trying to ride longer/harder, etc.

A few things:

1) I ride a hardtail mountain bike, and the soreness is when I ride both on road and off (same bike)
2) I'm 6' and ~165 lbs
3) Bike is a medium and I favor a smaller cockpit, ie. stem size is 0 degs and 100mm. Bars are 1" riser. Very little back sweep.

After about 2 miles or so I start to get a burning sensation in my deltoid area. It continues for the rest of my ride. After awhile it's all I can do to finish the ride.

I'm trying to maintain the correct posture, whatever that may be, and I've tried different hand positions, etc. I can ease the pain somewhat, but more often than not it is very brief relief, ie. maybe 1 minute, and the it's back.

It's really getting in the way of my riding. I can max out at about an hour and then it takes alot of mind over matter to keep moving.

Thanks,

Russ--
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:33 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

russ:

You may be onto something with the changing of the hand positions. If you have a standard style mountain bike handlebar with only 0-3 degrees of back sweep, you may find that you have to hold your elbows out more to keep a comfortable wrist position on the bike. You have to use your deltoids to maintain this elbows out position. Try a handle bar with a 7-15 degree back sweep. The short stem and cock pit are appropriate to you needs. I also am of similar height and weight and I have more length in the legs and less in the torso. Large frames and long stems kill my back, so I too ride a medium frame with a shorter stem (120mm). I had similar deltoids as well as wirst problems and I markedly improved my tolerance of long rides when I switched to a greater back sweep handlebar.

Do some strengthening exercises with your deltoids, lifting hand weights of 5-10lbs. With your arm held down at your side with the weights in your hands, slowly raise the arm away from your side to staight out from your shoulder. Slowly lower the weight and repeat 10-20 reps a couple of time a day for 3-4 days a week.

If there is any worsening or persisting symptoms, get an evaluation by your doctor. You may have a tendonitis or be developing arthritis to the should joint.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:06 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Delts cont'd Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Doc.

I'll look into a different bar. It took me awhile to find this bar and I like it, but...if it's the issue then I'll seize the chance to buy new bike parts!

My delts used to be in pretty good shape. I worked out with weights about 1 1/2 hours 4 -5 days a week and used to be in decent shape. Then in December of '02 I broke my arm snowboarding and it took almost a year to recover from that. However, the pain was fairly substantial when I tried to do any exercises involving my arm(s) so I just stopped.

Now, however, I'm thinking back whether the pain started after I started riding again, ie. 1) my delts were in better shape before, 2) or my arm break/pain made me unconsciously alter my grip. Hmmm.

Russ
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ:

The arm injury certainly could be a factor; deconditioning and or residual scarring or post injury osteoarthritis are all possibilities. You may want to have an orthopedic doctor check the joint out and look at getting some formal physical therapy to the shoulder.

Thanks,
Nathan Winkelmann
250+

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:43 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ, riding a small frame might be the problem too. Your body isn't as stretched out as a large frame would allow. I am your same height and weight, when I ride a medium, the seatpost is as high as it goes and knees hit the bar. The smaller ride might make your arms less than a 90 degree angle, putting more pressure on your delts, kinda like holding buckets for a long time, your in the same position holding your body up. -wink

whatupthirst@hotmail.com
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:34 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. It feels like someone is stabbing me. I have been riding with this problem for about 7 years now. It is not a terrible problem as it only happens maybe a couple times a month. I cant seem to find any particular thing that causes it. bike size, posture, bars, ride time ,road, mountain it happens on every bike I have owned (which is a lot). It only happens on my left side. I think maybe my left arm is a tiny bit longer thus putting more weight on the left side. Any thoughts
G.Hammer
New

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:20 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Sore delts Reply with quote

I'm no Dr., and I won't even pretend that I play one on the internet, but the ache you guys are experiencing sounds similar to the bursitis I had diagnosed some years ago. While working in a physical job, I thought I strained my deltoid, but was told that it was a swelling of the bursa sac in my shoulder joint. Being in my twenties at the time, it was traumatic to have been diagnosed with what sounded like an old man's disease! Rest and some capsule stretching excercises that I was shown usually relieve the discomfort that I continue to get when it flares.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: