TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible heat exhaustion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TSURider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:16 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Possible heat exhaustion Reply with quote

Doc,

I am a 22yr old male sport racer.
This past weekend there was a collegiate race in Cleburne where i raced the sport category. I was hydrating for several days prior with the anticipation of it being warm. The day of the race the temp was ~88 degrees and my start time was 11:40am. The race was one technical 7mile loop and two easier 3 mile loops. After the 7mile loop I began to get somewhat chilled and had goosebumps while riding. I didn't think too much of it since there were no other symptoms. So i kept riding the final two laps and crossed the finish line and someone remarked that i had goosebumps on my legs. I immediately got into some shade and started drinking water. Over the course of 90 minutes I drank 40-50ozs of water and about 45-50ozs of Hammer HEED electrolyte drink mix. Had some goose bumps off and on for about 30 minutes post-finish and then they subsided. 90 minutes post race i talked with the on-site paramedics and they checked my BP and pulse which was 110/70 and ~130bpm respectively. My max HR is above 210 but has not been verified, and I spent most of the race in the 95+% range. I haven't been training much at all so could this be over exertion? I hydrated during the race with the Hammer HEED drink mix and water, but probably not enough of either. My pre-race meal was one small tofu burrito (not many carbs, fairly stupid of me) about 90 minutes prior to start. had a complex carb energy mix during the race. would this effect anything? i never felt like i bonked and ended up in 4th place in my division and 7th overall. any idea what was going on?

TIA

_dan
TSURider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:21 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also don't think i was sweating when i finished the race.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:46 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSURider:

Your symptoms sound consistent with heat exhaustion and dehydration. I suspect the humidity was up at the race which combined with teh 88 degree temperature, set you up for dehydration. The goose bumps you experienced can be a sign of increasing dehydration and developing heat exhaustion. The persistently elevated heart rate 30 minutes after your race further points to this diagnosis. Give your body plenty of time to recover it can take several days to a couple of weeks to adequately replenish the fluids and electrolytes within the cells and tissues throughout the body after an episode of significant dehydration. Go easy on yourself the next couple of weeks, keep drinking plenty and be liberal with the salt shaker and taking in foods high in potasium such as dairy products, bananas, tomatoe juice, orange juice.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: