TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salt Build Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:11 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Salt Build Up Reply with quote

I am just kind of curious as if this happens to other people. After riding my road bike for a long hard workout I have noticed that I have a slat like build up under my eyes and in my eyebrows. It is not a big deal, but I am wondering if because of this loss of salt if I might need to supplement somehow? Does anyone else get this?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:04 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBranham:

It is not unusual to have this salt build up. The only suppliment you need to take is a little extra salt on your food. You should be using an electrolyte sport drink while working out to replace your salt lost in you sweat.

Thanks,
Nathan Winkelmann
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:00 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens all the time. Eat some salty foods to replenish. Taking supplements won't be a bad idea, you are burning lots of things in your body.-wink

whatupthirst@hotmail.com
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:27 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan:

I beg to differ on taking salt suppliments. Taking salt tablets for most individuals can lead to potential leathal hypernatremic dehydration which results when not enough water is taken in with the salt tablets. It is wisest and safest to use a sport drink that contains electrolytes (sodium, potassium and chloride) in proper concentrations with the water and glucose which helps in theses salts in being absorbed as well as increases the fluid being consumed and the water being absorbed across the intestinal tract. Adding more salt at the table or eating some salted foods such as pretzels is really all that is necessary for most individuals. There is a small group of individuals who have extremely high salt loss, specifically those with Cystic Fibrosis, who may need to take additional salt supplimentation along with ample fluids when exercising. This kind of therapy should be under close supervision of a phsysician well versed in the management of cystic fibrosis.

Thanks,
Nathan Winkelmann
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOC, I agree. I guess you missed my point. I don't take salt tablets. I eat salty foods after rides, like peanuts mmmmm.... I did mean to take vitamins, like the kind that give you the daily amounts. thats all-wink

whatupthirst@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: