TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fractured metacarpals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Fractured metacarpals Reply with quote

Hello doc,
I managed to successfully fracture number 3 and 4 metacarpals in my right hand.
Its currently strapped in a fiberglass splint. We are 90% sure it won't have to be pinned.
Can you give me any advice on how to aid and speed up the healing process?
I have heard of Hydrotherapy, any thoughts?
Can you give me a questimate on when I'd be able to be back on the bike?
Many thanks,
DB
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:51 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtboy:

Typical bone healing time is 6-8 weeks. There is not much to speed the process up. You will find that the 6-8 weeks of casting will have significantly weakened the muscles in the casted hand. Try doing isometric exercises by contractioning the oposing muscles simultaneously so that the hand and fingers do not move during the contractions. Do 10-15 repetitions of these exercises holding the contractions for 5-10 seconds each and repeat 2-3 times every day to try to maintain muscle strength. Once you are out of the cast, foam squeeze balls of increasing density can be used to help strengthen those muscles. Ask your doctor for a PT referral for maximising your strength training and recovery.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:09 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: