TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dislocated shoulder...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
z0s01
100+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:40 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Dislocated shoulder... Reply with quote

How long does this take to play out? Got it on Saturday, put back in place within a minute. Got checked out today and slinged up. Haven't taken any painkillers...no pain but really stiff.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:27 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

z0s01:

Unfortunately once a shoulder has been dislocated, it is more prone to be dislocated again in the future. Allow at least 6 weeks of healing before you partake in any activities that could place you at risk. It is a good idea to be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon to make sure you do not have a significant rotator cuff injury which would benefit from early surgical correction. The rotator cuff is a cuff formed by the muscles and tendons of the shoulder joint that help stablilize the humoral head (the upper arm bone) in the shoulder joint. Significant tears to this can benefit from early surgical repair, if delayed, the scar tissue that develops can make future surgical results less than optimal. Also, get a PT referal from your doctor to help with your shoulder rehabilitation and exercise program to opitimize your shoulder strength and maximize your recovery.

Thanks,
z0s01
100+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:49 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool..I got through the ortho already when I was there and he said I should be good w/out surgery. I was also given the same time table except he said I could get on the road bike earlier if I had range of motion back, and that I should avoid dodging trees for a long while.

thanks.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:56 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to avoid dodging trees, just avoid hitting them. Laughing

Heal up soon so you can chase some of us old farts around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: