TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pain in the Thigh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G.Hammer
New

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Pain in the Thigh Reply with quote

Dear Doc,

I've got a minor pain in my right thigh that has become chronic. It started last spring, and I took four weeks off at the start of summer to give it a chance to heal. As soon as I started pedaling again, it continued to ache. It is a relatively minor pain (2-3 on a scale of 10) that seems to be centered on the front of my thigh, but sometimes emanates up toward my groin and the front of my hip.

I've been consistently doing one-hour spin classes Tues. & Thurs. and riding for about two hours on Sundays since last Feb., and I raced in about six races throughout the year. I decided to take six weeks off this fall in hopes of relieving the nagging ache. Now in week five of zero strenuous physical activity, (except occasionally chasing my five year old twins around and climbing stairs in the house as needed) and after sleeping with a heating pad for the last two weeks, the ache remains. I have not experienced any trauma to the area that I can recall. The pain has not hindered my pedaling, although when I stand on it in a high gear, I feel it. I've scheduled an appointment w/ my physician, but thought you might be able to shed some light on the situation prior to my discussing it with him.

Thank you,

Greg Hammer
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg:

I do agree with your seeing your physician. When pain persists this long after appropriate rest, it should be evaluated further to make sure something serious is not behind the cause. If your physician cannot find a clear cut source on your physical exam, an MRI of the muscles of the thigh and pelvis may help in elucidating the cause. If you tore one of your thigh or pelvis (psoas) muscles in a strenuous exertion during a bike race, you may still have some local tenderness and this would show up on the MRI.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: