TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad day on the bike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Bad day on the bike Reply with quote

Doc,

At the 6 Hour race at RHR, I had a really bad day which maybe due to not preparing properly. I had plenty of carbs the day before, but didn't drink as much water as I probably should have. I have high blood pressure and take diovan for it. On my first lap, hr was at 179, i am 41 yrs old and 6'1" and weigh 196 lbs. I ride at least 4 days a week, mostly on the road as of late. In fact it was my first time back on my Mtn bike since double lake. My hr is always elevated when I race. But when I started my second lap, my lower legs began to cramp. It got worse at the 2.5 mile point. I was really fatigued, and my legs were really starting to cramp. It was like I hadn't been on a bike in months. I race sport and usually on the second lap, I get a second wind, but this time I just felt terrible. I did go out the night before, and had a few beers, but stopped midway in the evening and started drinking water, but again not as much as I should have. I had to stop several times on the second lap and walk/rest. It really was difficult going. I did stop at one of the water stations and refilled my water bottles. My shoulders and arms started to really hurt during the second lap. When I got back to the start/finish area, I tried to drink as much accelorade as I could and ate some oatmeal cookies and a gu. But I was restless and after 40 minutes i decide to go back out. It was a bad mistake, and I struggled terribly. I walked a lot, and rode with some difficulty. the cramps really got bad, but I did noticed my hr was lowering to the 150's and 140's on the bike, probably due to the walking.

I take my medication and when I had my last physical I got a clean bill of health. That night, Sat, and sunday, I felt like I had been beaten with a baseball bat, and had really bad cramps friday night. Was this dehydration or if not what is it?

P.S, I due tend to cramp, but probably due to lack of hydration.

With the exception of cramps, I have never felt this bad on a bike ever.
Nathan Winkelmann
250+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood, I ain't no doc, but I think not riding a mtn. bike for 6 hrs. will do that to you. Once your dehydrated it will be hard to come back, so you pretty much screwed yourself their. Your Hr was pretty high too, for an endurance race. Training at low HR's then killing yourself will make you cramp, your legs aren't used to that much acid anymore. -wink

whatupthirst@hotmail.com
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:31 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hood:

You got behind the 8 ball with getting deconditioned before the race and not optimally hydrating. With endurance races, you need a slower steady pace that comes from a base of long slow rides. Give you body a chance to recover from your effort; give it a good two weeks emphasizing good hydration, sound nutrition and slow steady easy paced rides after 3-4 day of resting totally off the bike.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was sneaky humid at Rocky Hill on Friday which places havoc on hydration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: