TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knee problem - only when cycling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Knee problem - only when cycling Reply with quote

I would appreciate it if you could let me know if you are aware of a good orthopedic consultant in Houston who specializes in cycling injuries. I seem to have injured my knee in April in the MS150 and have not been able to ride since then without pain. Initially it was thought that the problem was tendonitis, however some months later and one cortisone injection later I am still getting the pain. Following an MRI my consultant thinks that there is a tear in the meniscus, however is surprised that I only have pain cycling (down stroke) and can run and play soccer without any problems. The benefits of time and the shot mean that I recently managed to go 6 miles before the pain returned - it is shart and applies to the back rhs of the right knee. It only clicks in when I apply power on the downstroke. I am going off to Moab in the beginning of October and want to get this fixed asap. As a result, I would appreciate sitting down with someone with a better understanding of the biomechanics of cycling prior to getting surgery.
Thanks,
Alan Semple
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan:

Unfortunately, I do not personally know the orthopedic surgeons in Houston. You may want to check with some of the local cycling teams, check out at the Velodrome an see whom your cycling colleagues use. (Maybe some Houston readers who have had good experiences with Orthopedic Surgeions in the Houston area can give you some names to consider). You may also want to check with Baylor College of Medicine or UT Houston School of Medicine and see if they have a Sports Medicine program and visit with some of the orthopedic professors to see if they may be able to address your needs or may know someone who may.

While on your bike make sure you use a high cadence lower gear pedalling style. Big gear mashing will worsen the pain and increase the damage. Make sure you have good saddle positioning and seat height. Too low a seat will cause knee injury. Your knee should be nearly fully extended at bottom dead center for road riding and have about a 10 degree bend for off road riding. Also consider a shorter crank. The longer cranks that are used off road riding (175mm MTB vs a 170mm road crank for example) make you bend your knee more at top dead center which can also increase repetitive use injury to the knee. There is not that much of a mechanical advantage of 5mm longer cranks. You should work on the above mentioned High RPM lower gear spinning style with slightly shorter cranks to save you knees.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,

I am a claims adjsuted and would deffinetly recomen you coantct the Baylor Orthopedic group if you have no relief. They have several doc's all specializing in different area of the body and are conservtitve in their treatments and have always been able to accomadate theri schedules to fit my clients employees in
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: