TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

caffeine withdrawal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:41 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: caffeine withdrawal Reply with quote

Hey Doc,
I’m on Day 4 of not drinking coffee after drinking about a pot and half a day for about 7 years. The first two days I had a mild headache that has gone away. Yesterday and today my legs and joints ache, it feels like the same ache you have when you have the flu but no fever or any other flu symptoms. Do you think this has anything to do with caffeine withdrawal?

mangler
Nathan Winkelmann
250+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:41 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but sounds like it. Keep off the stuff, its so much better for you.=wink

whatupthirst@hotmail.com
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:57 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

mangler:

Welcome to the ranks of the caffeine free. Pop into a library and read the cover article in National Geographic, I believe it was the January 2005 issue, for a great article on caffeine and the effects it has on the body. Your symptoms can all be due to caffeine withdrawal. Your body has become addicted to the drug (yes it is a drug) and is now adjusting to going without. Give yourself another week and you should be see some improvement. To help you stay caffeine free, make sure you get sufficient sleep so you do not need a caffeine kicker to get you through the day.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here for the NG article.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:43 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Doc & Wink. Thanks for the link S. Racer

The aching kept me awake during the night the first couple nights. Ibuprofen has helped tremendously.
xl_cheese
100+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it up! You'll feel much better than you did when you were on the stuff once your body stops screaming for it.
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

i went caff cold turkey back in 98 when i quit smoking(pack of cigs a day and 6pack of soda’s with a couple of cups of coffee,) strangely enough I had to start 'drinking' again to kick cigs and caff
z0s01
100+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:36 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with people quitting caffene this week...I'm on day 3 now and I've got a monster headache...not to mention the stomach...ugh. I was an 8 Diet Coke a day junkie.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:54 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have my caffeine when you pry it from my nervous, jittery fingers! Razz

Sure it has some negative effects but what about the positive effects of modest caffeine use for the cyclist/endurance athlete? Heightened mental alertness, increased fatty acid mobilization, decreased perception of effort for longer sessions, etc. And what about the potential role caffeine plays in the prevention of degenerative brain disease (yes, I know the verdict is still out on this one)?

Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:00 pm GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:00 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

rookie wrote:
And what about the potential role caffeine plays in the prevention of degenerative brain disease (yes, I know the verdict is still out on this one)?

yea WAY OUT, Algernon.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:32 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what was the source of the caffiene being studied? Is the caffiene coming from coffee, cola, or green tea? I've read some good things about the stimulant effects of green tea, combined with the additional nutrients/antioxidants from the tea....

I've kicked my caffiene habit in the last couple months and feel much better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: