TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Torn Meniscus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:56 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Torn Meniscus Reply with quote

Hello,

About a month ago while going up a hill I lost momentum could not unclipp in time and impacted my knee into the ground. My knee was sore and stiff for a few days after, then seemed to get better. I was riding again by the next weekend with just a pain if I really pedalled hard.

Fast forward to this Saturday for seemingly no reason at all other than the fall one month ago my knee swelled up, and was so stiff I could barely move it. I went to the DR., today and his diagnoses is a torn meniscus. I go for an MRI Wednesday to confirm.

My question is If the diagnoses is correct, what affect will this have on riding in the future, or is this something can have a 100% recovery rate. As if right now just being able walk normal sounds nice Sad
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbeardjr:

Alot will be learned from your MRI. It will give your orthopedic doctor an idea of how severe and injury you have and what kind of treatment and recovery to expect. If there is a significant tear, then arthroscopic surgery to the knee may well be in order. Recovery time will depend on what is done and how severy your tear is. You will need to discuss this further with your orthopedic doctor. Stationary bicycling is often in the rehab program for knee surgery, so do not sell your bike, you hopefully will be abel to get back on it in a few months.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:38 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: words of incouragement! Reply with quote

I've torn both sides as is common once you've torn the meniscus in one knee. 1st was soccer & 2nd was a trampoline accident I’ve had surgery on both, once they put in stitches and the other they just cut out the torn piece. The recovery was slower for the repaired knee ( about 4 months ) and a bit faster for the knee where they cut out the tear ( about 4 weeks ) that was nearly 8 and 3 years ago consecutively and i don't notice them at all today. I run, ride, swim, lift and paddle constantly and they really don’t bother me at all – now I am more careful so you’ll notice yourself watching out for damaging situations.
My advice: Tell the Ortho that you’re wanting to continue riding and Follow the directions of the P.T. religiously!!!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:46 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I have been getting depressed thinking my riding/running days may be over
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:32 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

let us know how the MRI goes -
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the Dr. has the report finally. This entire process seems like it takes much longer than it should. I may not know anything until my appointment next wednesday.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 2:00 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be a bummer but don't get your hopes up too much. Although the MRI is a necessary step it doesn't always definitively illustrate the entire problem - it will give the Dr. a good idea of what's going on and shows if there is an injury to the meniscus, tendons or ligaments but won't really tell them exactly what is wrong. If there is something that looks like a tear the meniscus they might suggest a “scope” where they stick a tiny little camera in your knee joint and in that procedure they tell you that if they find something small they'll "clean it up" meaning cut out the little pieces of the tear - or if they come across something major then they'll insert anchors or sutures to hold the tear back in place. Getting to that point is not really a quick, cut and dry process – you’ll have to make a few choices about what you want done so right now you shouldn’t worry too much about it. You’ll be back to riding soon – possibly sooner than you think.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 3:37 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have some news. I do not go tosee my Ortho Dr. until next wednesday. However my primary physician received a copy of the MRI report as well and it shows no structural damage to me knee, just a lot of swelling. Well that is obvious by looking at it......... When I went in I had my annual physical done as well and blood test were taken, and my SED rate and C-Reactive protein levels are high so I hope this is not some form of Arthritis. For now I will jsut hobble along until next week atleast Anyway I hope to have good news Wednesday.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

gbeardjr:

With the elevated C-Reactive Protein and Sed Rate combined with a recent history of trauma preceding the swelling and pain to the joint, my concerns are rased for an infection in the joint, called septic arthritis. Talk with your doctor. You should get into see the orthopedic doctor urgently with this new information.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:35 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, went to my DR appointment today, the swelling went away almost overnight two days ago. The good news the MRI says I have a healthy knew. My Ortho's guess is my knee cap dislocation and caused the swelling, and suggested physical therapy. He wants me to come back in 4 weeks for a followup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: