TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Numb feet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veljko
100+

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:27 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Numb feet Reply with quote

I've read the post about swollen feet, but often in spinning classes I get a numb forefoot (usually just one). I wear proper sized, well made shoes for my wide feet (Specialized Pro). The problem is if I loosen the laces my foot is not as secure as it needs to be for the class.

Would a custom orthotic help? I have very "flat" feet.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:47 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this too - but only when my feet are fixed for a long period of time, such as when road riding or on a stationary. It's only one foot (left) and it's the forefoot as you mention. It seems to have lessened a bit over time but I may just be becoming accustomed to it. I'd love to know possible ways to alleviate it although it's not severe enough in my case to go for a custom ortho fit.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:03 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question!

My right foot gets a "hotspot" after a while in the saddle.

I have HX of RPPS, bursitis, and a partial ACL tear (L leg)...But my right foot does get numb sometimes
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:59 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veljko et. al:

It is a tough situation, loosen the shoes to ease the pain leads to foot slops too much on pedals.

You may want to check some other brands of shoes to find one with a wider toe box. Another trick is to go 1/2 half size up American or 1-2 number sizes up European sizing. Shoes with multi straps will allow you to fine tune your shoe tension. You will want to set the steps more relaxed over the ball of the foot (the bottom shoe straps) than over the instep (top of the foot).

Get the widest based clipless pedals you can to help decrease the pressure points on you shoes. For MTB pedals look at Time, Speed Play Frogs or an SPD style downhill/BMX pedal. For road bike pedals you have several options to consider, too many to name. Avoid the old style SPD road pedals which were basically trimmed down versions of the SPD MTB pedal.

Wearing support stockings can help decrease the foot swelling. One of the advantages of being happily married, I don't care that I look like a "Fred" when I ride my bike. My feet and ankles swell without support stockings and I just put them on and ride. You may have seen me at some MTB races in my stylish lycra black matching knee length support hose. It makes the fans happy (cracking up at me) and my feet happy too. They also prevents chainring tatoos to my meaty (yeah, right!) calves.

If you find the pain persisting despite your efforts to alleviate them, get a check by a podiatrist. It is possible you may have a "Morton's Neuroma", a fibrous enlargment of the digital nerve that goes to the toes. Pressure on the neuroma causes increasing burning pain often localized to a couple of toes and specific area on the ball of the foot.

Thanks,
Veljko
100+

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: As always, thank you. Reply with quote

Doc, you're the best. I will try some of the things you suggest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:02 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto - thanks Doc!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:39 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

o/t: Hey Veljko - are you the guy whose NRS1 was stolen back in April? Did you ever get it back?
Veljko
100+

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:56 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Yep, that's me Reply with quote

rookie wrote:
o/t: Hey Veljko - are you the guy whose NRS1 was stolen back in April? Did you ever get it back?

Never did get it back. It's probably either in the some seedy section of Houston under a drug dealer's butt or thrown in the trash once they couldn't patch the tubeless tires.

The irony is that a few weeks later I had new neighboors move in with a bloodhound who howls like crazy at any time of day or night if as much as squirrel walks in my driveway!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:00 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a damn shame dude - sorry to hear it. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:52 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related foot numbness question. For the last week or so (since Kerrville), I have noticed some numbness/tingling in my right foot, but only when laying down in bed or with my feet up in the recliner. The tingling seems to be concentrated in the area under the ball of the foot and towards the heel.

I know I over pronate, and there is a tendon attached to my heel going towards the ball of my foot that will move and feel like someone is plucking it (like a guitar string) if I don't use arch supports (so I use arch supports).

Any ideas on places that might be affecting this nerve? Is it a foot, ankle, calf, or knee problem?

Unrelated comment:

When I notice foot numbness of the bike, it the opposite foot (left) and is due to pushing down during the entire pedal stroke. When I relax and concentrate on spinning, it goes away. It is the ball of the foot and toes that go numb. Tightening the toe strap on my Sidis seems to help avoid this particular numbness.

Thanks,

-Kyl
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:37 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyl:

You may be having some mild siatica, which is compression of the femoral nerve where it exits the base of the spinal collumn. The clue is the pain is worse when you elevate your legs which is typical of siatica. Treatment is conservative, anti-inflamatories, occassionally a local steroid injection to the area where the nerve is compressed. Do seek a medical evaluation if the symptoms worsen or if there is any muscle weakness asssociated with it.

Thanks,

Last edited by The Bike Doc on Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:24 am GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:06 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was hoping it wasn't back related Sad

Enjoy,

-Kyl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: