TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non healing wounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoachJoe
100+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:10 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Non healing wounds Reply with quote

Just a feeler for advice:

Got some wounds that have been hanging around for 5 - 6 weeks now--cuts, scratches and otherwise minor abrasions.

Routine of cleaning has been good--twice daily with antibacterial soap and dressed with neosporin & covered with band aid.

Problem--wounds are healing on top, but ulcerates from within again and the process starts over. Annoying and scar formation is evident. The two mud races in Warda & Tapatio did not help with the cleanliness.

Are there any dietary factors that can help with wound healing that I am not aware of? I have cut out all caffeine, (including chocolate) and do not smoke. To my knowledge I am not diabetic, but willing to be tested if this persists.

My wife is a wound care Physical Therapist and is baffled as well.

Coach Joe
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:59 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Joe:

Do have a check for diabetes. Poorly healing wounds is one of the clinical signs that can indicate excess blood glucose. Make sure you are including hydrotherapy in your daily wound hygeine. Your PT spouse is quite familar with this and I would suspect you are doing this as well.

From my years as a horseman and as a nurse (RN before MD) I discovered a wonderful salve for healing wounds and pressure sores whether they were from a fence cut on a horse's leg, a saddle sore or a pressure sore on a bed ridden patient. I use this salve in my medical practice and my bicycle practice, Corona Ointment. It is a lanolin and beeswax based antibacterial ointment that stays put and speeds healing remarkably. Last year, I took a 2 inch wide 1/4 inch deep chunk with nothing left to stitch together out of my knee when I bit the pavement from my bike. After washing the wound twice daily with a warm water irrigation from a Shower Massage, I would then dry the wound and apply a heavy application of Corona Ointment then covered with a gauze pad and ace wrap. The wound healed over the next 4 weeks without infection and only a half inch by one inch red scar remains (chicks dig scars I'm told ) to remind me of my foibles. Corona Ointment also works well on the other kind of saddle sores bike riders are prone to. You can get Corona Ointment at most feed stores and Tractor Supply Company.

Thanks,
CoachJoe
100+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:39 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thank you Doc for the advice.

I will try some Corona ointment & a check for diabetes--all while sipping back a cool Corona of a different soothing kind with a lime! Wink

'preciate it.

Coach Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: