TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

insulin spike?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strohls freely
100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:56 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: insulin spike? Reply with quote

Hi Doc,

Here is the setting:

I am riding endurance miles on a flat 10 mile loop. My heart has been pegged at 145bpm for about a hour and a half (this is approx. 90% of my L.T.). I reach down and take a swig of my homebrew (24oz. water and 2tbs of molassas). What seems to be a few seconds later, my heart feels different, just different, I look at my rate and it is 154, 158, 165, and then up to 179 in just five or less seconds. During this spike, I am mashing on the brakes so as not to become a smear on the asphalt just in case my ticket is about to expire. But then it is over. Back to normal. I ride for another hour with no problems.
My heart never hurt or anything, I just felt it race.
Was this an insulin spike? What was it? . . . ?
xl_cheese
100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be your HRM. Mine shoots up over 200 sometimes in the wind.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:58 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not an insulin spike. 5 seconds is not long enough to get anything from your gut to your bloodstream and for your body to react (by releasing insulin). Also, an insulin spike and a HR spike are not generally related.

If it is windy it could just be your HR monitor giving the bogus readings.

Paul
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:11 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it could be that the extra effort it requires to reach down to grab your bottle, raise it overhead to drink, then put it back, is what temporarily spikes your heart rate.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:58 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

strohls freely:

ciclista & PaulBurpo are guiding you correctly. It is way to fast for an insulin spike, it is more likely the increased muscle activity and mental conentration to get the water bottle out and to drink. Try using a hydration bladder such as a CamelBak.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: