TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lactate Threshold movement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strohls

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Lactate Threshold movement Reply with quote

Hi Doc,

I am new to training, but race expert.
My question is: Will my L.T. go higher as I do more aerobic training, (endurance miles)???

Thanks!!!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:55 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

strohls:

In a word, yes. Endurance training will help you raise your lactate threshold by helping your body metabolically adjust to utilizing fat sources of energy more efficiently with less lacatic acid produced. However, do not neglect your interval training, throw in one day a week of intense intervals to help build your tolerance of opperating above lactic acid threshold. This will also help build your sprinting strength and keep you more competitive in a highly competitive group or riders.

Thanks,
strohls

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:48 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc,

Thanks for your words. I have only done interval type training up to this point-----that and all out hammer race type simulations. However, I have not progressed much in the past six months. So, I took up endurance miles in the past three months and my L.T. seems to move up 3-5 bpm every two or three weeks. Amazing!!! Just wanted to know if this is normal.
Will it continue indefinitely? Given of course in smaller and smaller increases.

Thanks,
Strohls
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:51 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

strohls wrote:
Doc,

Will it continue indefinitely?

Nope. Old man time keeps whittling it down on you, but you can stave off the whittling by maintaining your endurance training.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:46 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you consider "endurance miles"?

Are you really testing your LT every 2-3 weeks or more?

What does your LT test consist of?

Are we talking power based or heart rate based?
strohls freely
100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

EM= 2-3hrs 90% L.T.

yes

Friel test for heart rate monitor
xl_cheese
100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:08 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

strohls freely wrote:
EM= 2-3hrs 90% L.T.

yes

Friel test for heart rate monitor

Seems kinda high for endurance stuff. Also considering most people that use a friel test to get LT end up with an estimated LT much higher than actual.

Just something to think about.
strohls freely
100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:38 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has put me on the podium . . . let's see . . . every race I've entered.

xl_cheese
100+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:41 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

strohls freely wrote:
It has put me on the podium . . . let's see . . . every race I've entered.

Just trying to be helpful. That is all.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strohls,

How old are you? Because that will make a huge difference in what one can do, recover from, and then go again. Us "old guys" really have to walk the thin line of recovery and being overtrained. The younger you are, the less of a concern (however; it still must be of some concern).

I agree that 90% of LT is fairly high for "endurance miles", but if it is working for you; DON"T CHANGE! I would bet that for many of us a number closer to 75% LT would be good for "endurance miles".

Terry Dupler, Ph.D.
strohls freely
100+

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:21 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of an old guy, forty-one. But I do recover as much as I train.
Mon-Thur Weights & EM=90%L.T.
Tue-Fri EM=85%L.T.
Wed Sleep
Sat MTB
Sun Sleep
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:37 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to make sure I understand what you are saying here.

Doing mostly 90% LT HR work you have raised your LT HR by 3-5 bpm every 2-3 weeks for the past three months?

So in three months your LT HR went up 12-30 bpm?

If I had to guess I would say that you got better at LT testing. If you were "well-trained" at the start of the three months you usually would not expect much of a change in LT HR.

It is all a moot point anyway as a change in LT HR doesnt correlate with a change in LT power. But as was previously stated, you do get a training effect by training at 90% LT.
strohls freely
100+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,
As all of this started, I did not really train other than go out and ride as fast and as hard as I could for as long as I could. A few months went by and I seemed always sore. More time pasted, performance times went down--as all my riding was a time trial against my best time. Six months I'm burned out and don't like biking---except I love it , just couldn't ride.
Read the Carmicheal book and the Friel book. This winter I started squating and leg curls (still doing it). And then started endurance miles. So, no, up to this point I,ve never really trained.
But yes my L.T. has gone up 17bpm in the past three months. And if I might say my power at 90%L.T. and at L.T. is much greater. Much greater.
This is the squatting and leg curl---period. Well maybe riding my EM at 75-80 rpm helps, it is my logic.
Anyway, who knows? I am trying to figure out what works for me. What I am doing now seems to be working. That is why I originally ask the Doc, is this what is supposed to happen? Whatever is all I know.
The End!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: