TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death Valley Race (training)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:54 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Death Valley Race (training) Reply with quote

Hi, Doc Nolan!

I've been invited to participate in a multi-sport 24-hour event in Death Valley, mid-June. I would ride two of XC legs, a total of 2-3 hrs., roughly.

Of course the site includes a prominent caveat about the heat, which can evidently reach (gasp!) 130 during the afternoon.

Obviously, this is a nutty thing to do; but, if one trains properly, is it a DANGEROUS thing to do?

Vitals: 47 years old; 6'0", 152 lbs, 11% body fat (Tanita method), RHR = 60; low-ish blood pressure (wiht an assist from a pediataric dose--5 mg--of Lisinopril; 10+ hours week training, year round; competent XC racer at the Sport level (DORBA), about to move from Beginner to Sport (TMBRA).

I would be extremely grateful for your thoughts on this matter. It sounds like a lot of fun (and a great way to celebrate a pal's 50th b'day), but for all that it's not a cause I'm willing to die for.

THANKS, PAL!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:21 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex:

There are some things in life that we medical professionals look at in wonder, shake our heads and say, "This is Job security." This kind of job security we can gladly go without. I cannot rationally condone such a sport activity. There is a reason it is called "Death Valley". When the ambient temperature exceeds body temperature and the body is forced to produce great amounts of heat through exercise, even with liberal fluid intake, the disaster of heat stroke is lurking not very far away. There are far saner yet greatly challenging events that can satisfy your urges to push you body and mind to SANE levels of the maximal limits. Do look for an alternative sporting endeavor. Now if you insist on racing in Death Valley, do it under these conditions: middle of the winter or middle of the night.

Sorry, no cigar this time.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:30 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul, for this sensible and witty response. Needless to say, I'll heed your advice. (Hey--I was just looking for something crazier than this year's Warda Race! But--right!--we all had FUN at Warda. And lived. Gotcha. I'll bail!)

All best,
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: