TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Face peeled off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dent
100+

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:27 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Face peeled off Reply with quote

I accidentally used my face as a brake pad this past weekend at the Double Lake race, and was curious if there was an ointment that you might suggest which could minimize any potential scarring? I took a trip to the local E.R. and had the wound cleansed, and a few butterfly bandages were applied to hold my cheek together. Thanks!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:12 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dent, I have used Tegaderm in the past for road rash,but don't think you can use it over butterfly bandages and it's on your face,the tegaderm patches get kind of funky looking. Call your pharmacist.
I have a call in to Elton John to get you some big sunglasses....
Hope you heal soon
Blaine
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:45 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

For optimal wound healing, make sure you keep the area moist, such as with an antibiotic ointment, and covered with a bandage if possible. It's a myth that leaving a wound "open" and letting it "breathe" is best. Do this until the skin is completely healed (ie, no open gaps).

Then, to reduce scar formation, you can apply vitamin E several times a day (not lotion or cream with vitamin E, but rather the actual Vitamin E oil.)

As a physician who does skin surgery, I consider this the best recipe for lacerations. The extent of the scar is determined by the trauma, but this should help it to heal faster and with decreased risk of scarring.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:47 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dent:

Ciclista is pointing you correctly. However, be cautious in how you apply the ointments as too much can loosen the steri strips. Try to apply it to just the edges where the wound is approximated together until the steri strips come off then you can apply it more liberally. To areas that are abraded and not steri-stripped, use the ointment more liberally. Cleanse the wound twice daily with warm water and a gentle soap. Tripple antibiotic ointment is helpful and inexpensive. I have also used Corona ointment (available at feed and farm supply stores such as Tractor Supply Company) on facial wounds to speed the healing.

Thanks,
Dent
100+

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:03 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you both for the quick replies. Luckily for me I have been following your suggestions almost to the "T". I have; however, fallen victim to the myth of leaving the wound open, and shall begin the practice of keeping it covered until the skin has healed. Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: