TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cramping During a Race

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crampa Jones

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Cramping During a Race Reply with quote

Hi Doc,

I experienced cramping in my quads while racing sport this spring. It usually occurred near the end of the race - about an hour and a half into the races. I can tell when my quads are getting to the point where cramping is about to happen.

Other then trying to subvert cramping nutritionally by "beefing up" on potassium & calcium on the days prior to race day, is there something that can be ingested during the race when I get the warning signs that my quads are about to lock up and start cramping?

Thanks
Confused
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:32 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crampa Jones:

There are several things to consider in cramping of muscles during a race. The first and foremost is addequate hydration with an electorlyte containing sport drink. If you are drinking mostly water chasing energy gel packets you may not be getting enough electrolytes to prevent falling of your sodium and potasium to prevent cramping. If you are not drinking enough sport drink to match your sweat loss, you will also be more prone to cramping. Weighing yourself before and after an event will be helpfull in measuring how much deficit you are running in your fluid replacement. For each pound you are down you after an event or workout, you need to replace it with 16 ounces (1/2 liter) of electrolyte containing fluid during the competition or workout. Conditioned athletes can easily loose 1 to 2 liters (quarts) of sweat an hour during an intense work out. To give you an idea of how much that is, you should be drinking down the equivalent of 70oz CamelBak per hour of racing if you are loosing 2 quarts an hour.

Second to consider is addequate stretching and warm up. Stretching should be part of your daily routine even on days you are not racing or working out. Get the excellent book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. It gives easy to follow instructions, is excellently illustrated and has sport specific stretching routines that can help keep your muscles and joints limber.

Third does your training reflect what you are racing? If you never bring your training intensity up to the level that you are racing, you muscles will rebel greatly when they get pushed beyond what they have trained for. Be sure to throw in interval training 1-2 times of week in which you will do intense sprints and climbs to build your muscles. Be sure to have an easy spin day or rest day following a day of intervals. Also, during the off season throw in some weight training 2-3 times a week to help build your muscles.

Consider taking a couple of 500mg Tums (Calcium Carbonate) just prior to your race or intense workout. The carbonate may help neutralize the the lactic acid from going anaerobic and possibly help reduce cramping. However, don't be chasing Tums in leu of steps 1,2 and 3 above.

Thanks,
khighfield
250+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:29 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike Doc gave me the same advice to the same question a few months ago - and it definitely helped. I take 3 or 4 Tums before a race, which is also to help digest the cytomax solution in my Camelback. I'm still cramping a little towards the end, but by the end of a hard race, I think everyone is having some twitches if they've been racing hard enough.

Thanks for the help Doc.

Kevin
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:44 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kevin,

I'm not sure if you are following any of the other threads, but read the latest on creatine. If you are still having some minor cramping, it might be due to the cytomax. It contains creatine.

I used to take creatine before I knew better and I had terrible leg cramps. I stopped using creatine before I heard of all the problems associated with it. Listening to your body is your first line of defence against cramping and other damage.

Then I went to Cytomax to help reduce cramping and suppliment my energy during training and racing. Wrong again and still cramping. It also contains creatine.

The best useful substance I have found is gatorade endurance. It has more potasium, calcium, soldium, and magnesium than regular gatorade. But, I dillute it with some water to help get it down. Also, I take energy gels. There are many out there, so find one that you can handle and take one every 30-40 mins during intense training and racing.

This has been the best defence for me against dehydrating and cramping. Fuel and hydrate and go longer and faster dude! Oh yeah, don't forget to stretch before and after you rides.

--Kevin
khighfield
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHPruitt wrote:
Hey Kevin,

I'm not sure if you are following any of the other threads, but read the latest on creatine. If you are still having some minor cramping, it might be due to the cytomax. It contains creatine.

I used to take creatine before I knew better and I had terrible leg cramps. I stopped using creatine before I heard of all the problems associated with it. Listening to your body is your first line of defence against cramping and other damage.

Then I went to Cytomax to help reduce cramping and suppliment my energy during training and racing. Wrong again and still cramping. It also contains creatine.

The best useful substance I have found is gatorade endurance. It has more potasium, calcium, soldium, and magnesium than regular gatorade. But, I dillute it with some water to help get it down. Also, I take energy gels. There are many out there, so find one that you can handle and take one every 30-40 mins during intense training and racing.

This has been the best defence for me against dehydrating and cramping. Fuel and hydrate and go longer and faster dude! Oh yeah, don't forget to stretch before and after you rides.

--Kevin

Thanks - I'd better read the list of Cytomax ingredients again! What I'm really looking for is something to put in the Camelbak that provides both carbs and minerals with my hydration - that way I don't have to fumble with gel packs while trying to race. There's always something new - any ideas anyone?

Kevin
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:45 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the large refillable bottle of gel. It is more economical and you can take more with you without worrying about littering.
Mutha
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:38 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked the ingredients on my can of Cytomax and I don't see creatine listed. Is it known by another name? thanks.
________
free joomla themes

Last edited by Mutha on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 am GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total
khighfield
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutha wrote:
I've checked the ingredients on my can of Cytomax and I don't see creatine listed. Is it known by another name? thanks.

Mutha: how do you use and digest Cytomax?
Kevin
Mutha
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:00 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been using it as much lately.

Usually put a scoop in the water bottles for long training rides.
I would mix it in my camelback for races. I was still experiencing cramping in races when using it, so there are other factors - training, diet, effort, etc. that I need to figure out.

Since I'm trying to lose a couple of pounds, I am mainly using water for training. Sometime a weak gatorade mix.
________
Ford Model A specifications

Last edited by Mutha on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:18 am GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:02 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mutha wrote:

It's in the CytoMax Pre-Formance, not the sport drink one. They have pre, during, and post excercise formulas, each one is different.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: