TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forearm tendonitis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoachJoe
100+

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:56 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Forearm tendonitis? Reply with quote

I have developed a severe case of tendonitis in my right forearm (at the elbow) from causes unknown. What I do know is cycling really hurts! Both on the road and mtb.

I have been ibruprofen'n, Biofreez'n, contrast bathin' & massag'n for the past 4 weeks without resolve. Beginning to think that I actually tore something in there, but do not have insurance to get it checked out.

Advice? Hints? Tips? Diagnostic methods without MRI?

Looking for objective input for me, a medically trained Occupational Therapist who should already know, but am stumped by my own malady.

Coach Joe, TRS, OTR
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:55 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

My racquetball partner developed tendonitis in his right forearm. His doc said it was caused by the vibration of the racquet caused by striking the ball. His solution was a 'bubble' made of light plastic and held in place with a velcro strap. In your line of work, you have seen 100 of them. On rare occasion, I will notice riders wearing them too. If vibration is the problem, the chip seal roads that are popping up all over the area may increase the tendonitis in riders too.

Don't know if it would work for you but it keeps him on the court.
the toninator
250+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:37 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m no Doc but I’ve spent a lot of time in the ER Smile

My right elbow also hurts often probably from repetitive stress from sitting in front of the computer all day in the same position and from biking. I use a pressure wrap sometimes and it relives the pain. I try to switch up positions and stretch while at work. I’ve also switched mouse’s. I have two computers and I use one right handed and the other left handed, seems to have helped.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:15 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach Joe:

Physician (or Therapist) heal thyself! It is tough being the health care provider and being the patient at the same time. I am told doctors and nurses make the worst patients (being both MD and RN I try not to live up to that reputation but I digress...)

It does sound like tendonitis, and you have done appropriate therapy of RICE (Rest, Icing, Compression, Elevation) plus anti-inflamatories for an appropriate time. Get an evaluation by an orhtopedic doctor. You may have some scar tissue building up that may benefit from additional therapy such as deep massage or ultrasonic therapy. Take a careful assessment of your resting the arm. Repetitive use injury can be aggrivating your problem. Your orthopedic doctor may want to explore other possiblities as the source of you pain depending on the findings on your history and physical exam.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:32 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

been there done that.....

I play musical instruments, cpu freak, xbox freak, racquetball, & darts. Oh and ride my bike 4 times a week. Smile

I saw many doctors over the years past with pain: chortizone shots and was even told that I was getting older and needed to just give up on certain activities.

I even tried local injections of b12 that had a temporary cure from Houston's Dr. Tran.

Frustrated I was!

Then one day at barnes & noble I came across the trigger point therapy workbook. Oh man that stuff works! I just hope someone here may actually try trigger point manipulation and experiences the same end results as me.

Life is better with no pain!

-cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: