TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

it's snot funny

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allergyhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:13 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: it's snot funny Reply with quote

I'm really allergic to fall, which is one of the best times to be riding. I just got over a bad sinus infection (zithromax didn't work, but levaquin did). For the whole sinus infection time (about a month) and still now, I have a lot of mucus cruising down the back of my throat and I think that's why I have a stomach ache most of the time (I was find before the sinus infection).

I really don't feel up to riding when my stomach is upside down -- should I see the doc about some sort of anti-nausea drug? Ginger products helps some.

I tried antacids, pepcid AC and pepto bismal to see if they helped, but the don't seem to do anything. (Ha, not all at once!)

The weird thing is if I ride, I feel like crap, but then maybe 30-45 minutes in I feel better, and I feel great when I'm done. But then often, a couple of hours later, I feel bad again.

Is it probably just allergies or could it be something else and can anything be done besides endure it?

thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:56 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allergyhead:

You do not have to endure your fall allergies. There are effective medications and methods to help get you breathing easier.

Daily antihistamines can work well in relieving many of your allergy symptoms. There are two non-prescription antihistamines that may be effective for you. Tavist (clemastine) is very effective in controlling the excess drainage and blocking allergic symptoms. It use to require a prescription but went non-prescription in the mid-90s. I still use it for myself and my allergy patients. In about 10% of users, there is some mild sedation with the first few days of usage that wears off. Claritin (loratidine) is a non-sedating antihistamine that is also available with out a prescription but in my experience is not as effective in controlling all allergy symptoms.

The next thing I recommend may sound odd but I practice what I preach and I too find great relief of my nasal drainage and congestion and have found it to be very effective in preventing sinus infections and in case I get a sinus infection, it helps to clear the infection more rapidly. Do once to twice daily saline nasal irrigations. Make a salt water solution by adding ½ teaspoon plain table salt (non-iodine) to 2 cups warm water. Irrigate the nasal passages with a large bulb syringe, 1 cup of warm saline solution to each side, while leaning over a sink while slowly exhaling through an open mouth. This will flush out the thick, tenacious mucous that is so hard to clear. Gently blow your nose when done. Follow this irrigation with an application of a topical nasal steroid such as Rhinocort (budesonide), Nasacort (triamcinolone), Nasonex (mometasone) or Flonase (fluticasone). You will need to get a prescription for one of these but they are quite effective in reducing nasal congestion and drainage. Do not use over the counter nasal decongestant sprays as all of them loose their effectiveness after three days and can cause serious rebound congestion.

For riding your bike or working outdoors when the pollen and mold counts are high, wear a filtration particle arrestor mask such as those fiber/filter masks that painters wear to help reduce the amount of pollen you inhale. You will want one that has both a head band and neck band to get a more secure fit and improved filtration of the fine pollen, dust and mold particles.

The nausea you experience may be due to the copious and persistent nasal drainage that you swallow. If you can get the faucet turned off by using the above tricks, you may soon find your nausea resolved. If your nausea persists or worsens, however, visit with your doctor about your symptoms to see if anything more serious is not going on. Also visit with your doctor about getting a prescription for a topical nasal steroid.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:26 am GMT +0000    Post subject: netti pot Reply with quote

To facilitate pouring the water through your nose, try a Neti pot.

http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/neti-pot.htm

It's a great way to gross out yor wife and/or parlor trick. Amaze your friends.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:40 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the above web site "Neti is one of the 6 purification techniques performed..."

If any one say coffee enemas, I'm outa here! Shocked
allergyhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:36 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply -- I should have said I'm pretty much doing all of those things (including allergy shots for the past year). What I wasn't doing regularly was the sinus rinse thing, so I will make sure I do that, especially during the fall season when I suffer the most.

My allergist gave me one of these: http://www.nasalrinse.com/

Ok, I wasn't wearing a mask ... that would help, but the dork factor is pretty high. I do wear one while mowing.

That was a great and informative explanation -- I hope it will help some others as well.

I'm wondering now if it just took a while for the sinus infection to really clear out even after I finished the antibiotics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: