TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cactus attack!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:26 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Cactus attack! Reply with quote

Got smacked by a cactus which left few needles in my hand and arm.

Just curious if the pain caused by the needles is from a mild chemical or if it's from the needles being driven to the bone? The needles in the arm didn't create any pain, didn't know they were there, but the needles in the hand definitely did something. My ring and pinky finger are swollen! My guess is that I hit the cactus and the needles actually hit the bone and joint which caused the pain and swelling.

Is there anything I should be aware of with this situation?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your tetanus shot up to date?

I would guess this is the one that got you: http://mic-ro.com/plants/#Opuntia%20spp.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:35 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

Pain and swelling to the area where the cactus needles stuck is concerning. You may be developing an infection. If there iare persisting needles imbedded under the skin, the infection is not likely to clear until the needles are removed. Do seek a medical evaluation, this can be serious. Do make sure you have had a tetanus boster in the last 5 years.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:10 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

The cactus definitely hit the bone and I went to my doctor for a Tet. shot just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: