TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

numb patellar tendon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:19 am GMT +0000    Post subject: numb patellar tendon Reply with quote

Doc,

Been riding fairly hard lately, both road and mountain. The other night I woke up from a healthy sleep and the front of my knee below the knee cap (the patellar tendon) was numb. It is still a little numb 2 days after first realizing it. It seems to be getting the feeling back slowly, but it's a little concerning. Any thoughts?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:05 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

It sounds like you may have injured one of the superficial sensory nerves to that area of the knee. By chance did you have any recent injury such a hard bumping of the outer lower aspect of the knee? That could cause some local numbness if the nerve was injured. If the numbness worsens or persists, visit with your doctor.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:27 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sliced open the front part of my ankle in October. Could this have struck a nerve? Today the numbness has subsided, but concerned it might return this weekend at the torture test ride.
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:29 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sliced open the front part of my ankle in October. Could this have struck a nerve? Today the numbness has subsided, but concerned it might return this weekend at the torture test ride.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:35 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

The cut to the ankle should not cause numbness to the knee; it may cause numbness to the area of the cut, to below and little above it. If the excess strain on the knee is causing some inflamation, swelling or stretching to the area where the superficial nerve that provides sensation to the area below the knee passes, then some transient numbness is may result. Keep the cadence up, check your saddle height. Take time to raise is when you hit the road sections so you only have about a 10 degree bend in your knee at bottom dead center of your pedal stroke for the road sections and lower the saddle for about 15-20 degrees of bend for the off road sections.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: