TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pneumonia. Will training cause it to come back?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: pneumonia. Will training cause it to come back? Reply with quote

So I got pneumonia last week. I went to the ER I felt so bad. First time in my life I've seen a Dr. about being sick.

Anyway, I'm feeling much better these days. I still feel a very tiny urge to cough if I take a quick deep breath. My 2nd dr. visit last week I was informed that pneumonia takes about 6 weeks to clear up. So does that mean I can have it come back if I start riding again?

I'm hoping to salvage the 2nd half of the spring season. I can tell from riding on sunday I've been set back quite a bit.

I orginally got sick over the Christmas holiday. I was better for about a week before I got hit with pneumonia. During that week I was back to my normal training.

I'm itching to get back into it, but I don't want to risk loosing another week to sickness. All my winter training would be for nothing.

thanks,
wes
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:28 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

wes:

Yes it can take up to 6 weeks to fully recover from a pneumonia. Plan on going easy for the next month or so. The airways are more reactive and may be prone to exercised induced cough or wheezing. Visit with your doctor about recommendations for when you can start cranking up the intensity. Also explore whether there are any underlying tendencies prior to your lung infection for you to have exercise induced respiratory symptoms. Questions to answer for symptoms prior to your illness:

1. Do you get coughing episodes with laughing hard or exercising hard?
2. Do you get a cough that persists more than two weeks after having a cold?
3. Do you feel tight in your chest when exercising or when exposed to cold air?
4. Do you have coughing episodes at night?
5. Do you have a history of allergy problems such as hay fever, eczema, hive reactions to foods or medicatons?
6. Do you have a history of being a smoker or living with or working in a smoking environment?
7. Do you have any direct relatives (parents, siblings or children) with a history of asthma?

If you answered yes to any of these questions you are at higher risk for having asthma and would likely benefit from a trial of inhaled asthma medications.

Thanks,

Last edited by The Bike Doc on Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:10 am GMT +0000; edited 1 time in total
xl_cheese
100+

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again doc!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: