TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asthma Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:12 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

z0s01
Quote:
I forgot to use the inhailer before my RR last night and felt the chest close down, made it back to the truck after a lap and it cleared up right after taking a puff.

We'll see how it'll work at Terlingua, especially with the cold start.

Visit with your Pulmonary doctor, tell your doctor that you are still having exercise induced symptoms if you do not take your pre-exercise inhaler. When an inhaled controller medication is used routinely, the need for pre-exercise inhaler often goes away. If you are not on a daily controller visit with you doctor about being put on one. Jerome Bettis of the Pittsburg Steelers is a good exam of this. Before he went on controller medication, he could have unpredictable flareups of his exercise induced asthma. I will quote Jerome:

"In 1997, I had an asthma attack during a nationally televised game. The fact is I was fighting for my breath and I almost died. It was the most frightening experience I've ever had, but it also served as a turning point in my life. Since that day, I've learned to treat my adversary with respect; and, the good news is that once I did, I found I had my opponent under control."

In case you are wondering were I am coming from, one, I am a Pulmonary Doctor and, two, I have asthma. Much like Jerome Bettis, a few years ago I thought I could manage it just by taking my rescue medication whenever I needed and not bother with controller therapy. Now I take my controller on a daily basis and do not have to worry about taking pre-exercise albuterol. I jump on my bike and hammer when ever I want. I keep my albuterol with me at all times, but seldom require it because of the control I now have over my asthma.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bike Doc wrote:

Visit with your Pulmonary doctor, tell your doctor that you are still having exercise induced symptoms if you do not take your pre-exercise inhaler. When an inhaled controller medication is used routinely, the need for pre-exercise inhaler often goes away.

Aight..I'll mention it.
z0s01
100+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:24 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

Aight..I'll mention it.

Dang...log in. That was me.
MTB-]
100+

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:34 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on Advair for about 6 weeks and I'd like to think I'm seeing less excercise induced symptoms (though to measure). But when I'm at full race pace in cold or dusty conditions (30's), I still suffer and seem to have residual affects for several days after these coooold days. Is that usual, or a sign that I should be doing something different?

I've recently started using breathe-right strips because I've never been able to breathe through my nose at any level of exertion. That seems to have helped by warming the air and filtering out some of the dust.

Regarding the use of an Albuterol rescue inhaler, would a person's aerobic function be higher if they can avoid using it?
I'm always hesistant to use it before a race and would prefer to avoid using it. If you have to use it, would it be better use it before symptoms occur or after?

Thx,
MTB-)
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTB-]

With your symptoms persisting several days after a race in cold or dusty conditions, you may require more controller therapy. Visit with your doctor about your symptoms. Advair comes in three strengths 100/50, 250/50 and 500/50. The first number is the amount of inhaled fluticasone (Flovent) the second is the amount of inhaled salmeterol (Serevent). If you are on the lowest strength, you would likely benefit to a step up to the next strength.

Also a simple avoidance measures to reduce the amount of cold air and dust inhaled can be beneficial. Get a NIOSH rated face mask that painters use. This will be made of about 1/8 inch thick filter fiber and have two elastic retention straps. This can markedly reduce the dust you inhale and prewarm the air as well. I used this when I raced in Lajitas/Terlingua before with great benefit.

In regards to using your pre-exercise albuterol, if you need it, use it. You will find yourself significantly limited in how hard you can go if you are experiencing exercise induced bronchospasms that otherwise could have been prevented. It is better to use pre-emptively instead of waiting until you are symptomatic. You will actually lower your aerobic function if you have bronchospasms because there will be less oxygen delivered to the muscles secondary to the bronchospasms. What is of interesting not, for those who do not have bronchspasms there is no additional benefit with using bronchodilators such as albuterol. Once you have found the correct combination of controller medications then you will likely find your need for pre-exercise albuterol will diminish.

Thanks,
MTB-]
100+

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:58 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc!

MTB-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: