TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another knee injury question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBaron
100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Another knee injury question... Reply with quote

Doc,

I raced yesterday at Comfort and besides a flat tire everythign seemed to go OK. However, I took a "dirt sample" in a turn and slid along my left side of my body (as if sliding into home plate). It was on pretty smooth rock and nothing seemed to be hurt, I even laughed to myself about how it must have looked.

But this morning I wake up and my left knee is aching, tender and mildly swollen. Looking down my left leg there is a small strawberry on the boney part to the left just below my knee cap. Same area as the swelling.

Here is my question: It doesn't really feel too serious and I'm hoping its just bruised from the abrasion with the rock. My concern is that I;m going to be racing the Ouachita Challenge 60 mi Marathon in Arkansas this weekend. What would be the best plan for recovery? I.e...no riding for days in hopes to give it a rest(?), or mild, light spinning to keep movement & range of motion(?), ice, heat, warm baths, keep elevated, anti-inflamitory, glucosimine? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cody
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:33 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Baron:

If the Knee has increasing pain, redness, warmth or marked swelling or you develop a fever, you may be developing an infected joint (septic arthritis) from bacteria that got throught the skin and settled into the knee joint. If any of the symptoms develope seek immediate medical attention. If you are not experiencing any of these and just discoloration from the contusion and just slight swelling, then take a rest day today, then begin some easy spinning tomorrow and go easy the rest of the week. You will not loose any signficant fitness with one week of easy spinning on the bike. Using an elastic wrap can help reduce the swelling. Icing the knee for 30 minutes at a time twice a day for the next day can help, then switch to warm soaks twice daily followed by gentle spinning to help speed the reabsorption of the edema fluid. If at any time there are worsening sympmtoms seek an immediate medical evaluation.

Thanks,
CBaron
100+

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:40 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc that was just the info that I was looking for.
After getting up and moving around today its already feeling better (instead of worse). I just want it to be able to take the punishment that the Ouachita will bring this weekend!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: