TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Knee Pain---knee cap floating out of the canal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pak Ratt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:23 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Knee Pain---knee cap floating out of the canal Reply with quote

MS-150 this week end--at mile 30 I started experiencing knee pain- but continued another 55 miles to Beeville

I can barely walk now-

The problem I have been told is that the knee cap does not "float" in the "canal" but instead the muscles move it "out of the canal" I even saw the X-rays---when my knee is bent---the cap is out of the canal-

When I saw the last ortho guy I got a sheet of exercises that looked like a 9th generation of a cartoon drawing-
when I told the ortho doc that I couldn't make out what the exercises were he told me to go out to the internet to find them (???) Needles to say--looking for a new ortho guy in SA.

So other than waiting another 3 weeks for an appointment--what can I do?

As I was peddaling the last four miles- a physician told me to get a knee brase with a hole in the middle-

What exercises will help develop those muscles to pull it back?

I was also told to start taking Glucosamine (2 a day) and Ibuprofen (3-4 a day)---what are your thoughts on that?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:25 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should also mention that the current pain is on the outside of the knee and when I bend it a 90 degrees there is a series of "pops"
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:07 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pak Ratt:

You will want to do exercises that will strengthen the muscles on either side of the knee. You can do leg extension exercise starting with the knees bent only 45 degrees (half way to a 90 degree bend). Use some ankle weights such as a 2 to 5 pound bag of dried beans draped over your foot and ankle. Do several reps of 10 to 15 extensions of the knee joint slowly raising and slowly lowering the leg but never past the 45 degree bend point. Rest between each rep 1-2 minutes then repeat. Do this 3-4 times a week.

Look seriously at getting shorter cranks to decrease the bend of your knee at top dead center. Get lower gearing on your bike such as a triple chainring front cluster or a larger rear cog set such as a 13-28 cassette for your road bike and a 12-34 or 12-32 for your off road bike. Avoid big gear mashing and long extended climbs. It would even be wise to put your bike on a trainer and do some easy spins if you cannot find any nice flat road rides outside of San Antonio. I have done some flat rides heading east to Seguin from San Antonio so you may not have to give up the road rides yet. Avoid off road riding until your knee is rehabilitated.

Glucosamine and chondroitin both can be beneficial to some individuals. It will not help stabilize your knee cap, but it can help the injured cartilage recover.

Thanks,
Schroeder
250+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:25 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey doc,

I have a family history of Arthritus (both types) and damage to a few key joints suck as knees and shoulder and have been taking a Glucosamine and chondroitin mix super strength tablet twice daily for about nine months now. It has had a great impact on general joint pains (hands, knees, and shoulder)

Is it true that it takes several weeks of consistent use for this remedy to build up in the body and begin to be effective? If so, once the level is high enough in your body, how many dosages would a person have to miss before it is not working anymore? I ask because I missed about three days several weeks ago and I seemed to have a several days of pain I hadn't experienced in some time and it took about a week for it to go away.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:14 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schroeder:

You are correct in that it takes several weeks for the benefit of Glucosamine and chondroitin to be realized. Based on the data that I have read, 4 - 6 weeks seems reasonable. From your personal experience, for you it appears that missing it for 3 days can lead to some lost benefit that you feel in your joints. How, long will it take to recoup those losses is not well addressed in the studies published and in the information that I have available. From your trial, it takes a week or two for you with three days of missed doses to recoup the benefits.

Thanks,
Schroeder
250+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:15 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc. Sounds like the medical community has done moderate testing on this overall. I hadn't been able to locate much in the way of formal studies and thought it was just my limited access.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: