TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not your average saddle sore...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:26 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Not your average saddle sore... Reply with quote

Been racing road and mtb off and on for 15 years and riding consistently during this time. Yes, I have experienced the occasional annoying, boil-like saddle sore and have successfully avoided a trip to the doc up until recently.

My non-average saddle sore had its genesis, I think, during the Fayetteville Stage race when I failed to apply chamios cream prior to the rain soaked stage 1 60 mile race. I developed a managable topical sore after that and sort of laid low during the following week as the Miles o Discomfort Marathon approached.

The Marathon was bearable, but the sore was exacerbated and less topical...seemed to be going "underground" on me. So I took it easy the next week for the run-up to Ft. Davis.

Fort Davis seemed to go just fine where the ss was concerned until I got home when I discovered my subdermal sore had swollen (with only slight pain) to the size of a third testicle. This got my attention, but it seemed to go down fairly fast and I was able to put it out of my mind for a few weeks knowing that my big season push ended with the X-bar marathon.

No problems during the marathon, but the return home was a repeat of the post-Fort Davis surprise. The thing is, this time, it was barely painful...close to not painful at all, just uncomfortable.

So I went to the minor emergency clinic where I enjoyed multiple stabs of local anesthetic and the disturbing sensations of surgical activity in my nether regions. Between my yogic breathing intervals, I caught a glimpse of the doc's furrowed brow.

He said there was basically nothing there but a large inflamed area of tissue and that he wasn't satisfied with the outcome of his efforts. (Neither was I for the record). Anyway, he put me on a course of antibiotics and it seemed to shrink fairly rapidly for about 4 days, but the hardened nodule seems to be holding steady at about the size of a bean, a red bean.

So, what's next, should I go for a second opinion? Wait it out?

I have ridden once on it and it didn't react by swelling, but I am afraid it may come back yet again.

Any help is appreciated.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:05 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richmond:

You should get further medical and surgical evaluation of the saddle sore. A course of antibiotics is likely in order as well to help clear any infection but antibiotics will not clear a cyst. An ultrasound of the sore would show whether or not it is a fluid filled cyst that can be drained. If that is the case then a general surgeon should be involved to do the draining.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: