TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another hydration question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murkona
100+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:39 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Another hydration question. Reply with quote

How many days does it take for the body to become either fully or reasonably hydrated?

For the last several weeks I have been experiencing a very yellow excretion of fluids from my plumbing (pee). I started to wonder if I had the bird flu, lepersy or diabetes - PANIC! So, I decided to take some time off training completely (do nothing but veg). Now, 5 days later it seems to be much more clear in color and the odor has diminished. I also feel much more alert and less tired. This never seemed to be a problem in my twenties, but now in the fourties it's a bit more tenuous. Oh, and my body weight went up close to 3.5 lbs. I was 176 for 6+ weeks and am now close to 180 again. Is it possible that I was running 3-4 lbs dehydrated for this whole time???

I seem to recall (not positive) a post you answered that said something to the effect of the body needing 4-5 days to become hydrated at the cellular level Question If this is true and I am clearing up then I just proved the clinical response. And - if this is true then I need to pay attention to my hydration not just from pounding the fluids, but also managing when to start, how much, rest and body weight etc...

Your input on hydration is much appreciated.

Thanks
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:44 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murkona:

Dark yellow urine often is a sign of dehydration. Other things that can cause a yellow discoloration to the urine include liver problems where the bile is not broken down as fast as it is produced, excess vitamin ingestion, antibiotics of the tetracycline class and other medications. Occasionally dark yellow urine can be associated with a urinary tract infection but there is usually symptoms of frequent, burning urination. As you have not described this and the urine color has gone back to normal I doubt it is a urinary tract infection or problems with your body clearing bilirubin.

If you have been working out frequently and not been adequately hydrating it is quite possible that the problem is due to dehydration. It can take a week or two for the cells within the body to fully recover from significant dehydration. Your weight being down could be a reflection of chronic dehydration. Weigh yourself before and after a ride or workout to get an idea whether or not you are drinking enough keep from getting dehydrated. For every pound of weight you are down, you will need to increase your fluid intake by an additional 16 ounces during the workout.

Pursue a visit with your doctor if your symptoms persist or worsen.

Thanks,

TMT 28 Days!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: