TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

foot/heel pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPINNINCIN
TMBRA Board Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:31 am GMT +0000    Post subject: foot/heel pain Reply with quote

Hey Doc - I am having a lot of pain in my heel. For a year or so it was occasional, now pretty much constant. I am walking/jogging a few times a week which I'm sure is the cause. I read up on plantar fasciitis (sp?) and it describes my symptoms perfectly. Presumably I have a bone spur that is causing the pain. It hurts in my heel, ankle and the muscle above the ankle. My questions are: Will this condition get better without surgery? Am I doing irreversible damage by continuing to train through the pain? I am training for a half-marathon (running) and really don't want to stop.

Welcome home (soon)! Cindy
250+

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:09 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinnincin:

Plantar fascitis usuaully does not require surgery. Oftentime using custom orthotics (custom made arch supports) can be of a great help. It may require you to change shoe sizes for your bike shoes to get the orthotics to fit comfortable. Get an evaluation by a podiatrist familiar with bicyclists needs. Take your bike shoes with you when you visit with the foot Dr. Maybe our mountain biking foot doctor Marc will pipe in here with some further recommendations.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: