TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eating for recovery after strictly aerobic workouts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:25 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Eating for recovery after strictly aerobic workouts Reply with quote

Last fall I was hammering every ride, running on Cytomax and Accellerade mix and using something like Recoverite or more Accellerade or large meals, finishing eating within 2 hours after the ride. I had no appreciable muscle soreness the next day, but I was not losing weight or making dramatic improvements on my times.

This year is going to be strictly a basebuilding year with all workouts below 140 BPM. With the only exceptions being monthy 1 hour time trials that I run at lactate threshold... and the day before the TT I'll crank up the carbohydrate engine at about the same time of day... and there is an abbreviated TT warm up...

Anyway this is an experimental year. I have discovered that my times are improving, I am losing weight, and I don't have to drink carbo drinks to keep from getting stupid - after all, the average BPM is just 128.

Since I am burning fat, is there a need to reload the muscles with a carbo/protein meal after workouts? Consider the routine to be about 2 hours a day at 128 BPM with no excursions above 145 BPM.

What and how much should I be eating after workouts?

Thanks,

Ed
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:24 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed:

Keep it simple. You do not have to consume some high priced recovery cocktail, just go for complex carbohydrate such as whole grain bread or crackers with a lean source of protein (lean cold cuts, skim milk cheeze or peanut butter) and a drink with of sodium, chloride and potasium such as Gatorade or V-8 Juice. The key is not to go hog wild with your chowing down after a ride.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:05 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

I think V-8 might be the answer. I've probably been eating low salt foods until the salt meter hits full again - so the volumes/calories get all messed up...

I will go and apply this advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: