TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VetWrap -- handy stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redmountainbike
250+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:28 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: VetWrap -- handy stuff Reply with quote

So, I was just riding along and this LOG rose up from the trail and stopped my front tire! Ended up with a long, deep scrape on the underside of my forearm, which took the force of my fall. Stopped by the pharamacy on the way home from the trail to pick up some 4 inch stickless pads and also got some of that great, strechy elastic tape -- it sticks to itself but not to you. Kinda pricey, but I thought it would work well to keep the pad in place over the scrape. Next stop, the feed store for some Corona ointment (thanks for the tip, Doc). Standing in the horse medicine aisle trying to find the Corona ointment (it turned out to be next to the Bag Balm), I spy something that looks awfully familiar. It is called 3M VetWrap Bandaging Tape and is exactly the same as the pricey elastic tape at the pharmacy but MUCH cheaper, AND it comes in a 4-inch x 5 yard roll AND in a wide variety of colors -- I got the bright turquoise but the bright yellow is also cool. So, if you get a big scrape, or even a little one, and need something to hold the dressing in place on an arm or a leg get yourself a roll of VetWrap elastic tape at the feed store when you are picking up your Corona ointment and save yourself a bunch of $$. Great stuff to have in your first-aid kit as well.
I did a ride today, and the VetWrap kept the bandage in place, no problems.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:41 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

COBAN rocks

The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:30 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip, Red. I keep vet wrap in my horse first aid box and have been known to tap into my supply when I get hurt horsing around.

Thanks,
Redmountainbike
250+

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:12 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: I agree.... Reply with quote

Either way ya go, it is great stuff:

3M COBAN
http://www.3m.com/intl/za/coban.html

Vet Wrap:
http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000283.php
(this is a fun Web site, with a series of links to Cool Tools in a large variety of categories on the left side of the page. Check out Autonomous Motion and keep scrolling down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: