TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poor knee!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:32 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Poor knee! Reply with quote

Hi Doc -

Looking for a second opinion. In January I had a bit of a skiing "accident" and managed to dislocate my knee cap. Great. The doc drained a lot of junk off of it when I got home and sent me to PT, but it never was really "right" after that. Don't really have much pain, but it crunches and pops when I climb stairs and likes to dislocate anytime I don't point my right foot straight ahead. It also gets a "catch" every month or so and won't straighten out without hurting, but then it randomly goes away a few minutes later. Sounds bad, but it really more of an annoyance than anything.

So, not wanting to have bad knees later in life, I decide to consult a different doc to ask if this is something I should be concerned with. He says that I have two options -- ignore it because it doesn't really seem to be bothering me too much, or have the ligament moved and reattached so the knee cap stays in place. He also said if I was to do the surgery, I should do it soon as the cartilage is currently healthy but may degenerate later from my knee cap flying across it over the years.

Ugh.

So, my question to you is, as a very active 30y/o female cyclist, should I do it? My biggest concern is that I wouldn't be 100% when it's all over with.

Help!
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:22 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I had taken better care of my knee when younger. At 39 I was told my knee looked like the knee of a 65 year old man. At 40 I had a second surgery which basically cleaned up all the crap (bone spurs and torn cartilege) from 20+ years of not taking good care after the first surgery. I have better mobility, I can bend and straighten more, than before the second surgery, but I have almost no cartelege left. Now, I am told a knee replacement is in my future but to keep this one as long as possible, 15 years if possible.

The 'catching' incidents are very worrisome. That usually means something is really out of place and will get worse. In my case it was a bit of torn cartelege that needed removing.

I suggest getting a second opinion and a MRI eval to really have a good picture of what the inside looks like.

Motion is Lotion, keep cycling.

Good luck.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:13 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakey:

Debbie is pointing you in the right direction. Get a second opinion. Make sure the orthopedic doctor is familiar with your cycling and athletic needs to keep the recommendations in perspective.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbie wrote:
I suggest getting a second opinion and a MRI eval to really have a good picture of what the inside looks like.

One point: I asked my Ortho/Sports Medicine Doc a similar question a while back...He tells me that they won't Dx or recommend Tx soley on MRi...They go by Physical Knee Exam as well

Hope all is well Smile
jakey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:32 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, had the MRIs and Xrays already. Everything looked good, except for the totally out of wack knee cap. BTW...what is Dx and Tx?

Also, anyone got a good sports doc they'd like to recommend?

Thx
jakey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 6:24 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah...I'm in Austin.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:14 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakey wrote:
Yeah, had the MRIs and Xrays already. Everything looked good, except for the totally out of wack knee cap. BTW...what is Dx and Tx?

Thx

Sorry

Dx = Diagnosis

Tx = Treatment
Laura

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:10 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Poor knee Reply with quote

I have had 3 knee surgeries in the past 6 years. Two of my surgeries resulted from a dislocated patella. The first time this happened the patella locked out of place. I had arthoscopic (sp?) to repair the damage and remove bone fragments. The second time, the patella tendon tore. The surgery was to reconstruct the tendon and I have had no problems with that since. I can do anything I want to do. I have raced for 3 years with the reconstruction and without pain.

Currently I am recovering from ACL reconstructive surgery (other knee). I expect to race again in February.

I can highly recommend Dr. David Schmidt of Orthopaedic Surgery Associates in San Antonio. If your insurance will cover his care, I highly recommend that you see him.
Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:17 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Laura, glad to hear you will be back in the spring.

Before I had my surgery (in Austin) I asked the Bike Doc for a recomendation. I had already found a new doc, a woman familiar with cyclists, and made an appointment. When Doc gave his recomendation it was for the new doc I had already picked and for my old doc.

Carolyn Hyde w/ Texas Ortopedics (classmate of Doc Nolan and my new doc)

CB Malone w/ Austin Bone and Joint Clinic ( I think)

Look on the ARR mojo site, there is a thread about several other recommended knee docs.
bikejones
100+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:26 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakey wrote:

Thx

Hey jakey.....here's an excellent orthopedic knee surgen in Austin for ya..........Dr. Carey Windler, Austin Sports Medicine, 900 W. 38th St. Suite #300 ATX 78705 (512) 450-1300.

He did my knee in June, arthoscopic and reconstructive on the ACL. I couldn't tell you how happy I am with it. It's only been four months since my operation and I've been riding my road bike for the past two months for rehab. I can't wait to get back on the Mtb. but Doc. Windler says to wait, so that is what I'll do.

I asked several Mtber's last spring and I found 3 or 4 that had their knee (s) done by Doctor Windler.

Good Luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: