TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

elecranan bursitus (sp?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manster
New

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:43 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: elecranan bursitus (sp?) Reply with quote

I have a elecranan bursitus (sp? can't read Dr.'s handwriting). It has been drained twice and I rec'd a steriod shot each time. It filled up with fluid again and the Dr. says it is time to have surgery. Orthopedic surgen says surgery involves removing bursra. My question is does the bursra always grow back? What is the risk of more problems after surgery than I have now with just the inconvience of having fluid on my elbow? Also how many times should you go the drain and steriod shot route before you resort to surgery?

Thanks in advance,
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manster:

The olecranon bursa provides a lubricating cushion for the tendons to move over on the back of the elbow (the olecranon). I will answer your questions serially.

1. Once removed it will not grow back.
2. Problems after surgery may occur, these can include infection, scar tissue formation that may decrease the movement of the elbow or cause compression of the ulnar nerve as it goes underneath the humoral grove of the elbow leading to pain, numbness or weakness to the ring and little finger side of the hand. These complications are not common. They have to be weighed against the benefits that my be gained by removal of the troublesome bursa. Leaving the chronically inflammed bursa in place can also result in these same complications.
3. 2-3 rounds of drainage and steroid injections is a reasonable limit.

Discuss your questions further with your orthopedic surgeon. It is okay to get a second orthopedic opinion, but do visit with your surgeon about it so history and physical information that he or she has can be forwarded on to the second orthopedic surgeon to allow him or her the full benefit of information on hand to provide an informed opinion.

Thanks,
Manster
New

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:48 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a follow up to let you know that I had the surgery. Dr. said the bursra he removed was one of the largest he had seen - just slightly smaller than a baseball at the time he removed it. Recovery has been painless and the problem resolved.

Thanks Doc. In an age were everyone seems to be chasing the almighty dollar, and Dr.s won't even give you free advice over the phone, you are a refreshing breath of fresh air.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:13 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow, Manster, and the good vibes!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: