TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

knee tendonitis from running

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:01 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: knee tendonitis from running Reply with quote

I started running again a few months back with the goal of doing a half marathon, which I did two weeks ago..since then i seem to have tendonitis in one knee. I didnt really notice it until i ran 5k a few days after the half marathon. Since then i haven't been running, but i haven't always been able to avoid walking a lot, and that irritates my knee more with every step. I biked off-road for 25 miles on sunday and it didnt seem to bug me too much, and then biked for another hour or so tonight without much of a problem. DORBA's putting on a 4 hour race this weekend and i was originally planning on doing it solo. Even though biking doesnt seem to be bothering my knee like walking, should I avoid the event anyways?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:48 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Turning Back Now:

Despite your handle, you should turn back now. In other words, back of on the running and biking for a couple of weeks to allow the knee tendon to heal. If you want to do any exercise, find a pool were you can do some easy swimming of laps. Now would also be a good time to do some strength training of your upper extremities that can help build your bike handling skills. After a two week rest for the knees, get back on your bike but keep the grinding climbs away for a couple of weeks and work more on easy spins and build up your endurance from 20-30 minute rides a day to 1-2 hour rides a couple times a week over a month period of time. Then look at throwing in some running but keep it rational keep your running limited to easy jogs no more than 30 minutes at a time then gradually build up your time 10% each week. You should not loose too much base with your forced rest. In fact you may come back with a better base because you have forced yourself into recovery mode which is when the muscles and tendons build and strengthen.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: