TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omentum?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dennibw
New

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:02 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Omentum? Reply with quote

Hi Doc

Here's an out there question for you. How much do we (mtn bikers/racers) need our omentum? I'm having a hysterectomy & staging exploratory in a couple of weeks & my understanding is that removal of the omentum is standard with the staging. I know that omentum is a great benefit to our lymphatic system, but I also thought it's other job is to act as a safety net for our abdominal organs as well, helping to keep them in place. I'm curious if I will be at a higher risk for things like torsion of my intestines or something along those lines with mtn biking. Unfortunately I still have the occasional endo. I was just curious

Thanks,

Denni
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:05 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denni:

The omentum provides a protective cushion to the intraabdominal organs. So you will be at higher risk for injury if you take a handle bar to the mid section. Anytime surgery is performed on the abdomen, there is a slightly higher risk for torsion of the intestins, regardless of whether or not the omentum is removed. If you need the surgery for staging and therapy, pusue it. Do not let anxiety about slightly higher risks of problems with mountain biking stay off the surgery. Get back on your bike as soon as you get the go ahead from your surgeon. It will speed you recovery. Consider wearing an abdominal crash pad (much like football players wear) for extra protection from an occassional endo. Also think about a recumbent trike to allow yourself a more rapid return to the bike with significantly reduced risks for taking an endo.

I hope for your successful surgery and recovery. May God bless you through your therapies.

Thanks,
dennibw
New

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doc,

Just thought I'd pass along an update. I'm 2 weeks post-op & doing fantastic! Tumors (2) were benign & all the other histopaths showed no evidence of cancer. It was very hard to not get on the bike for just a couple of road miles with the weather up here in Dallas this weekend, but I behaved. I'm gonna start back up at the gym on the recumbant this weekend. Hope you have a great New Year!

Denni
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:59 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denni:

Thanks for the update. Praise the Lord and pass the bicycle helmet (as soon as the doc says it's okay)! May you have a speed recovery!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: