TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rotator Cuff Recovery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:31 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Rotator Cuff Recovery Reply with quote

Recently had surgery on the above mentioned two weeks ago today.

How long is the average recovery, meaning being able to get back on trails?

How long does it typically take the tendon to reattach itself, no sure if this is right terminology?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:52 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex-Maniac:

Plan on at least "OUCH" 8 weeks. Crying or Very sad Tendons take longer than bones to heal. Visit with your orthopedic surgeon to guide you on when you can get back on the bike. All is not lost for your muscle strength and conditioning though. You should be able to use a stationary trainer, recumbent, to start with then as the shoulder heals an upright staionary trainer with the handle bars set high to help decrease the load on the shoulder. You could even get back to road riding on a recumbent bike or trike sooner than you would be able to get back to a conventional bike due to decreased chance of taking an over the bars spill which would endanger your shoulder. Again visit with your orthopedic doctor to get his or her blessing on this.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:04 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

I went to my 2nd follow up yesterday. Said my shoulder is healing really well. I told him that the therapist said that my range of motion is going better than average after visiting her for the 3rd time yesterday.

I asked him how before I could get back on the trail and he said 6 mths.....the he smiled and said between 3-6 mths, more likely 3. Next visit is in 4 wks, when the sling will come off. Maybe he will give me the okay to ride on pavement. What do you think?
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tex-maniac:

Listen to your orthopedic doctor. He or she is watching out for your best interest, reinjuries can be far worse than the orignal injury. Discuss with the doctor your options for getting back out on the road, a recumbent trainer and recumbent trike to allow you to get out sooner.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: