TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DMSO - good or bad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:39 am GMT +0000    Post subject: DMSO - good or bad? Reply with quote

for muscle injuries.

Please discuss
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:01 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir schiltz:

The discussion will be short. On my review of PubMed, there are no published trials in peer reviewed medical literature in humans, or animals for that matter, in using DMSO (dimethylsulfoxide) for improving muscle injury recovery. DMSO is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treating interstitial cystitis (an inflamatory disorder of the bladder). Natural Medicine Comprehensive Database list DMSO as safe for instillation in the bladder per FDA approved usage but lists it as possibly unsafe when used topically due to likelyhood of impurities that readily disolve in DMSO. Commertially procured DMSO is not of the same purity as that used for FDA drug approved uses and reasearch. DMSO readily penetrates the skin and will enhances the absorption of potentially toxic impurities. I cannot make any recommendations endorsing this type of usage.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:58 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood, thanks Doc. I don't think I'll try it out.
dennibw
New

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:07 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had to use DMSO on patients (fortunately very rarely) in veterinary medicine. You don't want to mess wiith this stuff. If it gets on your skin, you have a garlic-like taste in your mouth for a couple of days & so the only thing you can eat is itallian or tex-mex because it ruins the tase of about everything else. Also, it has a very stong odor that lasts quite a while, you can't seem to get the smell out of your nose for a couple of days. I believe it is used a little more frequently in horses, but overall, it's not really used any more. I've been told that elderly people used to used it for arthritis back in the day, but the practice was stopped when they realized that the DMSO was causing either liver failure or renal failre. I don't remember which one, but either one is bad ju-ju.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: