TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

severe back pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyatt3d
100+

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:58 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: severe back pain Reply with quote

Doc, I went for my weekend road rides last weekend and pushed a little harder than I have in a while (Sat harder than Sun) I had some (middle) back pain Sunday morning and rode anyway. Monday through Thursday I could barely get out of bed, hot showers helped a little and stretching was difficult and only helped a little, I went to a chiropractor for the first time ever and was told I had some mis-alignment and I needed to be re-aligned. He says in the mornings my muscles are tight and pinching the nerves (at the curve) he proposes 3 treatments per week for a month and then re-evaluate, he has given me a couple of treatments and they may be helping a little but it's hard to tell at this stage (the treatments consist of stretching my back and leg muscles and then some electric pads that stimulate the muscles in my back. I am very skeptical of chiropractors but am desperate, I am virtually crippled for the first half of every day and don't know what to do. I have an appointment with my regular doctor next week but would like your input as well.

Thanks. Dalton Wyatt
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:28 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dalton:

Do see your regular doctor. With the degree of pain you are having you may have herniated disk that is causing the pain. This could be worsened by mannipulation. You may benefit from an MRI to define the cause of the pain. If there is no disk herniation and there are no other issues that could be worsening by manipulation, then consideration for manipulation, physical therapy, heat, massage and ultra sound modalities may be inorder.

Thanks,
wyatt3d
100+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:51 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doc. I'll keep you posted.
wyatt3d
100+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:08 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprained back. My Dr. said I should keep seeing the chiropractor if I felt it was working...I cancled my ramainig appointments this morning. I woke up feeling about 70% better than I have in the past couple of weeks and maybe it's just a coincidence but this is the longest I have gone without an adjustment (3 days). I am going to try just plain stretching and rest.

Thanks again Doc.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:47 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyatt3d:

To guide you in stretching get a copy of the excellent book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-20th-Anniversary-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070226/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-8958624-1356028?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176158724&sr=8-1 I have used this book for years and it is quite practical.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: