TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

knocked out - dizzy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:53 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: knocked out - dizzy Reply with quote

I was knocked out at the last race of the Fall series for about 5 minutes (they said). I've been pretty dizzy since and have not driven a car or ridden my bike, but I have made it to work for 2 days. My doctor says to wait a couple of weeks. Is there anything I can do to make this healing process go any faster? I just hired a trainer and was going to start training this past Monday for the Spring series - that is until this happened. I'm mentally ready to go, but physically I'm dizzy a lot and not quite on top of stuff. What do you think?

Dawn
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:23 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawn:

Your doctor is correct in telling you to wait. Once a person has had a concussion, such as the serious one you incurred, the brain is more prone to a second injury. The brain takes more time to heal then, say a contused muscle. As the dizziness is persisting one week after your accident, you may want to get a re-evaluation of your brain with a CT or an MRI to make sure there is no subtle accumulation of blood in the brain.

Once you get the clearance to return to training, build your self back up slowly. Your trainer should take into consideration your recent injury and you should avoid riding in situation that could give you another major header for the next month or two.

For road bike riding consider a recumbent, (check out www.bentrideronline.com ) you ride feet forward and you are far less likely to knock your noggin if you go down. (Now off road riding, mountain bikes still rule.) I have crashed on my recumbent 4 times (once crossing a water covered low water crossing, twice when I hit bad patches of gravel on the road and once when I was going too dammmmn fast for a corner). Each time I just took a light road rash and/or a bruise to my thigh, and each time I was able to get right back up and go again. I have been pitched over my conventional road bike handle bars at least four times and was fortunate I did not sustain a serious head injury. My helmet much like yours, saved my life on one occassion when I was hit braodside by a car and thrown head first into a curb.

I hope for your speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: