TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shoulder tendinitis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On your Left
New

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:06 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: shoulder tendinitis Reply with quote

Dear Doc:

I've been diagnosed with bi-lateral tendinitis at my shoulders. The pain travels down the front side of both shoulders. At first I thought it was related to weight lifting but now I am 85% certain it is aggravated by my bike. I'm not sure why but my best guess is the position of the handlebars (about a 2 in riser) although it didn't bother me for as long as I've had the bike.

What can I do to address this painful problem? Move/change handlebars, certain exercises, diet, etc.? is this common?

I was on anti-inflammatories but had to stop b/c of stomach pain.

Thanks very much in advance.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:09 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

drichman:

The toughest part of the therapy will be laying low and not aggravating the injury until fully healed. Translation: no biking or weight lifting for the next 4-6 weeks. Do range of motion exercises to keep things limber. A vist with a physical therapist can be invaluable in desiging a rehab program for your shoulders. When you do get back on the bike look at the handle bars. You may want to consider more back sweap of 5-8 degrees to put your upper arms in a more neutral position when riding. Also look at the width of the bars. You do not want them too wide or too narrow. Set the width about equal to the width of your shoulders. You may even benefit from slightly more rise to help unload your shoulders weight bearing. For road biking, look seriously at a recumbent bicycle to completely unload your shoulders. (Mountain bikes rule off road!) I became a recumbent convert in 1995 when I was having progressively worsening shoulder and neck problems from my road bike even though I had ridden and commuted by bicycle since grade school. (It is called getting old... Confused ) Check out www.bentrideronline.com and http://www.recumbentcyclistnews.com for some great information and reviews of recumbent bikes. Also here is a link to an article I wrote regarding recumbent bicycles. http://www.bikeroute.com/Recumbents/BentMedBenefits.php

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: