TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sweating out a lot of salt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cotton
New

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:59 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Sweating out a lot of salt Reply with quote

When I sweat heavily, I have significant salt deposits all over my face and clothes, so much that you can literally see it all over my clothes. I understand it is normal to sweat out salt, but the amount of salt I'm sweating out appears to be much more than other people I'm riding with. I wouldn't consider myself a heavy sweater, at least not any more than other people, although I haven't studied this in detail. Embarassed Anyways, should I be supplementing my diet with more salt, less salt or something else? Is this something I should be trying to address or do I just happen to sweat alot more salt than other people? For reference, I have used various sport drinks (Cytomax, Heed, Perpetuem, Accelerade, Gatorade) and haven't noticed any difference with any of them.
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:24 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cotton:

If you do not have any heart or kidney condition, do not be affraid of the salt shaker. There is a great deal of variance in salt sweat loss from one individual to another. You likely are one who looses more salt. So use the salt shaker on your food. Keep using a sport drink when you ride or workout. There is one medical disorder that is associated with exceedingly high salt loss, cystic fibrosis. If you have chronic respiratory symptoms or chronic intestinal problems visit with your doctor about being worked for cystic fibrosis.

Thanks,
Cotton
New

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:32 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I recently had a full checkup, so I guess I'm good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: