TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High Triglycerides

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:53 am GMT +0000    Post subject: High Triglycerides Reply with quote

I just had physical. Doc said while my total cholesterol level is low at 124, my fasting triglycerides are high at 205.

He recommended a low carb diet.

I'm already taking a fish oil supplement.

I feel really

I thought I was eating healthy with my daily breakfast of cherrios w/ soymilk, banana, and a glass of orange juice. Which I think are all high carb, do I have to give this daily routine up; or can I just watch carb intake at lunch and dinner, and leave my staple breakfast?

Can I be an effective racer, if I'm on a low carb diet?

Thanks for any insight,
Michael
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:44 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael:

Look at switching to complex carbohydrates made of whole grains. The Cheerios fall into that category. Instead of white bread ,get 100% whole wheat or multi whole grain breads and bagels. Dump white rice, switch to whole grain brown rice. When it comes to pastas, the whole wheat pastas are down right nasty so have regular pasta but be sure to have them with a side of vegetables loaded with fiber such as brocholi or greenbeens, or other such vegetable (not corn a grain product). Limit simple carbohydrates such as sugars and juices and instead get your vitamin C from eating an orange with your breakfast instead. Lay off the sugar in the coffee or tea. Ask you doctor for a referral to a dietician who can outline a dietary program that you can follow to help with you elevated triglycerides.

By the way, nutritional advice from most doctors (as well as most diet books written by doctors) are not worth very much. Medical School curriculums as well as residency training does not require ANY courses in nutrition. Get your nutritional advice from a nutritionist. I am an odd ball when it come to traditional medicine training. I was an RN before being an MD and I was required to take nutrition in my undergraduate training, then I took electives in clinical nutrition during my Med School years. Even with that, I recommend to my patients getting a Nutritionist referral to take advantage of the greater degree of specific training in nutrition than I have acquired.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: