TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sand tires?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Tech Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tire choice for sandy courses?
Narrow
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Fat and square profile
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Fat and round profile
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Veljko
100+

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:27 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Sand tires? Reply with quote

Ok, for the Hunstville SP loose sand (and maybe Palo Duro) - narrow tires or wide -- square or round profile Question
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:01 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to have several sets of Specialized Canibals that were great in Sand. 2.1 diameter and the the squared edge gripped well on loose, sandy corners. I wore out my last pair a few years ago. They are not made anymore. I also raced some Specialized Ground Gontrol More Extreme in the 2.5 diameter size. They would float over the sand and loose stuff. They helped me win the Chihuahuan Desert Challenge in my age division several years ago (fully ridgid bike). There are several nice Wilderness Trail Bike 2.2 to 2.5 diameter tires available. WTB use to make the original Specialized tires I mentioned and I am now using those models. Fat is were it is at when it comes to sand.

Thanks,
Crusty3764
New

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:20 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, all the major manufacturers have a high volume (2.1) tire with a minimal tread pattern (small shallow knobs). Save the narrow tires for muddy conditions (or road) and save the deep knobs and agressive tread pattern for casual trail riding.

Plythons have been popular for a long time. Kenda has several patterns that work well. Specialized Roll X seem to work well.

That's my best guess. I'll probably be on 2.1 pythons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Tech Questions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: