TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shoulder sublux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kriskane
New

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:12 am GMT +0000    Post subject: shoulder sublux Reply with quote

i fell pretty hard about 1 week ago and subluxed my right shoulder...can you please give suggested excercises? is it unreasonable to race this coming weekend? i have not been back on the bike since the fall, but will probably ride tomorrow (is one week rest long enough?). the shoulder is still fairly sore.....any feedback for me???

thanks!!!
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:20 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

kriskane:

My apologies for the delay; work has kept me off line for the last few days.

A subluxed (dislocated) shoulder is more prone to dislocate again with reinjury. So you are at higher risk for it happening again. You want to increase the strength and size of the muscles that surround the shoulder joint and help stablize the gleno-humoral (shoulder-upper arm) joint. You will want to build up your deltoids and trapezius muscles so exercises that focus on them such as arm raises and lateral arm exercises on an approriate weight machine. It would be most prudent to hold back on racing for a few more weeks to allow more healing. Seek out an evaluation by a Sport's Medicine physician and a physical therapist to have a safe and correct exercise regimen for rehablitating and strengthening your shoulder. Some time in a weight gym should also be considered.

Thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: