TMBRA - Rider Board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bursitis of the elbow preventative exercises?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:32 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Bursitis of the elbow preventative exercises? Reply with quote

Doc,

I took an extended break from bike riding and then hopped back on recently. I'm not one to take it easy and immediately developed elbow Bursitis, much swelling. So I did not get back on the bike, lots of elbow rest, ice, and nsaids. When my elbows were 99% I got back on the bike, I went on a all paved short trail to see if less vigorous shorter rides would trigger the Bursitis. A little bit is the answer as I had some mild soreness without swelling. It seems that rest alone won't "cure" the problem and a little preventative action is in order. My question is this: What specific stretches and exercises will help get me back on the trail sooner?

Thanks

Nate
The Bike Doc
250+

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:29 am GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

natehole:

The elbow bursitis may benefit from stretching exercises to the extensor carpi radialis brevis tendon. This it the tendon that is on the lateral (outside) of the elbow. Exerises include flexing the wrist downward with the elbow bent at 90 degrees. Take your opposite hand and hold the wrist in flexion for 20-30 seconds. Do exercises of lifting a 5 pound weight held in the the hand with the arm resting on a table palm side down, with the wrist and hand over the edge. Do repititions of lifting the weight by flexing the wirst up 10-15 reps with a 1-2 minute rest then repeat for 3-5 cycles of reps. A compressive elbow brace may also be of benefit. Look at your handle bar set up as well. You may benefit from a higher positioned handle bar so there is less flexion of the wrist, and a more neutral position produced. Bar ends could be of benefit in allowing you alternating hand positions to releive undue stress on the elbow and wrist joints. A few sessions with a Physical Therapist could be of significant benefit in teaching you stretching and massaging techniques as well as assessing you handlebar position to look for agravating factors.

Thanks,
Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm GMT +0000    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TMBRA - Rider Board Forum Index -> Ask the Bike Doc All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: